Net worked machine making a hell of a noise.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by brocher, Feb 8, 2004.

1. brocher

brocher Moderator

Since netorking a 98 machine to a XP , using realtec rtl8139/810x ethernet card. Sometimes the noise which come from this card is unbearable , i thought at first it was a wire rubbing the CPU fan until i opened the box. It sound similar to when a dial up modem is connecting but all rumbled together, the only way to cure this is to reboot the machine. Any idea's how to rectiy this, is there a volume on it like a modem????

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

network cards aren't supposed to make sounds...

i would recommend taking it back to where you got it and getting a different one.

3. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

the card should be totaly silent i would have thought??

4. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

i have 2 of them cards... no noise at all

(using driver version - 5.611.1231.2003)

5. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

do you have a modem installed also? Maybe it IS the modem making the noise. Take it out.

6. Majin

Majin DBZ - Yes its in me!

ok ure card is frying out thats an electrical failure ......TAKE IT BACK NOW!!!

7. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Network cadrs shouldn't make noise. The operating frequency is 1,000-10,000 times too high to hear. But, if the isolation transformes they use are not assembled right they can vibrate in the audible range. You might be able to make it stop by tapping it when it's being noisy.

Get it replaced, it will fail eventually.

8. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

going allong with general consesus, take it back, get a new one... i recommend 3com