Need some vista-xp battery info

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zeke_mo, Mar 30, 2007.

1. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Has anybody used a laptop running XP and then switched to Vista? If so, how does the battery life compare?

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

There were some initial problems. Energy conservation functions stopped working, fans ran full speed all the time, etc.

I have not heard anything lately. Check the FAQs at your manufacturers website before doing an upgrade. New drivers, etc. may be required.

If you plan on using the Vista "Eye Candy" desktops expect battery life to drop since Vista desktops use power hungry 3D video accellerators while XP desktop uses 2D graphcs.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=laptop+battery+life+with+vista

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I was using XP on my Tablet until January before I upgraded it to Vista. The battery life is somewhat similar, with XP being a little better.

I switch to the "Power Saver" scheme in Vista when I'm on battery - besides clocking down the CPU/GPU, that also makes the glass window-borders opaque, but doesn't disable Aero completely, so it's a nice balance.

zeke_mo likes this.
  4. zeke_mo

I see, I just got my laptop a few days ago and I was wondering if I could get some more time from the battery if I went back to XP, but it seems like it wouldnt be worth reinstalling and what not. Thanks for the info.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Zeke You may be able to get some more battery time by optimizing the Vista laptop settings like Netryder said.

Also check the FAQs to make sure there are no driver quirks. Things like the fan on all the time, etc.

Is the battery life really disappointing or do you just want more life out of it?

6. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

I have an IBM and Vista and XP were just about the same. I did not notice any difference.

I like vista on how to change the power settings quickly.

7. zeke_mo

I checked the settings and nothing I changed really give me that much of a boost, I think the most I saw was 10 mins. But drivers are vista are young, so we will see :)

I was impressed with the amount of settings there were, way more power management than xp.

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Zeke

I saw 2 laptops today cheap enough I might buy one. One has a 4 cell battery the other has a 6 cell battery. I like the one with the 4 cell better but...

Can you check how many cells your laptop battery has or post the laptop model number. I'm suspecting the 4 cell batteries really suck (I've seen 9 cells on some better laptops) and I wanted to see which you had for comparison.

One reviewer said the four cell won't last 2 hours. So your battery life input and number of cells is of immediate interest to me.

9. zeke_mo

Its a Sager 6630 with these specs:
    Those are my specs and I get roughly 2hrs of battery life, so really it depends on hardware. What two computers are you looking at exactly?

10. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

It was these but with you getting 2 hrs on a 6 cell battery I can forget the 4 cell toshiba.

Your computer will use more power (more toys, faster CPU, faster HD, 4x the memory, and Premium w/Aero) so I should get 2.5, maybe 3 hours. I suspect these would not handle Premium w/Aero. And having just reviewed what few features you get with Vista Home vs XP I'm not sure I even want Vista Home on either of these laptops.

Toshiba A135-S2246
    http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...Ne=6&An=browse
    Compas Presario C552US
    http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...Ne=6&An=browse

I think I'll stick the laptop idea back on the shelf for a while.

11. zeke_mo

Im sure the computers are designed differently, so I would ask around at these forums. And I'm sure that they would run vista just fine. Sorry it took so long to reply, I forgot to check back :(

12. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Turns out they were both inadequate based on battery life and sluggishness with Vista Basic. I found some forums with complaints about battery life on those machines (less than the time to watch a DVD) and an article about a class action suit against MS for certifying Hardware as Vista ready when all it will do is poorly run Vista Home.

So I went back to tthe store to run winsat to get a performance check and the store had it passworded out.

I've dropped the laptop idea for now. Thanks for getting back though.