Need Help with windows explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by raw, Aug 29, 2002.

1. raw

raw Guest

Wernt too sure witch forum to post this in but here goes anyway. Everytime i try to access a certain file on a seperate hard drive to my windows xp installation, i get an error message saying in brief
    "Windows explorer has encountered a problem .... Please tell Microsoft about this problem .. send report" this file is where all my downloads goto when downloading, i can still use the file after the error has appeared but as soon as i leave the file and then enter it again i get the same problem.
    Thanks

2. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

what file is it? I'm wondering if it didn't download properly...

3. allan

allan Guest

What's the name of the file & what type of file is it? What happens if you move it to another folder?

4. raw

raw Guest

Sorry not a file a folder, but i have kinda solved the problem now i copied everything out of the folder and pasted it into a new one but i cant delete the old folder and one file inside the folder.

5. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

to delete the folder go to the Safe Mode.

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Open a command prompt. Navigate to the offending folder. Open task manager\processes. Kill explorer.exe. Leave task manager open. Use the command to delete the folder. The command is 'rd'.
    It will look something like this> C:\Progra~1\rd offending folder
    Hit enter, folder gone. In task manager go to applications\new task. Type explorer.exe, Ok. All is done.