Need Help Setting Up pcAnywhere

O

ousooners

Re: Any GoToMyPC alternatives

can anyone help me out on setting up pcwhere i just got the software and i have no idea what i am doing.

thanks.

Post moved to create new thread.

What types of problems are you having with PcAnywhere, and are you trying to connect to a Host or setup a remote?

Why would someone with no idea what there doing get something like PC-Anywhere?

Probably because it is one of the more user friendly remote control applications, with features above RDP like more-secure connections and file transfer?

i need help on setting up a remote connection to my pc at home, how would i go on about doing this?

1) You read the instruction manual. Link posted above by Zombie.

2) You install the software on both machine as detailed in the manual.

3) When that does not work, you come back and ask a specific question. As mentioned above by Kcnychief.

aight i have read the thing, can anyone help me? trying to connect to the computer at the house, i have the IP and host is on? what do i do now?

If you have the IP address and the host is on, you more than likely need to forward the ports appropriately in your router/firewall.

What connection do you have - CABLE/DSL - and do you have a hardware-based firewall in place?

have cable and router, would i have to configure the router at home or where im at right now?

you have to to make sure both sides allow traffic on the port in question. In this case, I believe PCAnywhere uses port 5631 for TCP (5632 for UDP traffic).

Need to ensure that the remote firewall (ie: where you want to connect from) allows port 5631 outbound and the firewall at home allows 5631 inbound and forwards that traffic on that port to the individual computer you are trying to connect to.

edit: Also, if you are running XP SP2 and are using the built-in firewall, make sure you enable that port on the home computer firewall too.

edit2: It's been a while, i'm not 100% sure if you need the 5632 port to be open either.. or if just the TCP/5631 port is enough..

edit3: Looks like both ports need to be open According to Symantec http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/pca.nsf/docid/2001050711552112?OpenDocument&src=hot&seg=hho

I will confirm that both ports need to be open :)

Another tip is that you should assign a static IP address to your internal machine you are trying to connect to. For example....

If the machine currrently has 192.168.1.100 - you would need to put that IP address in your router, and forward the ports referenced above to it. In the event that IP changes, rare, but possible, you won't be able to connect.

So I would force that machine to always get 192.168.1.100 either in a reservation table on your router on your machine directly.

thanks for all the help guys, how would i change the ports on the router? and pcanywhere?

It varies really, what is the brand and model of your router?

its the netgear RP614NA, and also does anyone know where i could possibly get a cheap price for a modem?
thanks.

anyone? im at home for the weekend, and i need to get this fixed.
thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back