Need Help Installing Second HD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xk_2hot4u, Aug 5, 2002.

1. xk_2hot4u

xk_2hot4u Guest

Well I just bought a 80gb 7200 Maxtor. I want it to be my slave drive. My Bios sees it and I think the jumper settings must be right then(But not sure), which I didnt change or add to the jumper settings. Now this is where I'm stuck. I tried the maxtor installation cd's but its not working. I want to format it to ntfs and make it like drive F. I'm an idiot with with stuff. Pls help.

2. allan

allan Guest

Open Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Manager and see if XP can see the drive. If so, you can format it and assign a drive letter from there.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

agreed...

I have 2 maxtor drives and the cd's they gives are p.o.s.'s... trust me...

see if winxp can recognize and format from there... make sure that you have the slave/master designated properly...

:)

4. xk_2hot4u

xk_2hot4u Guest

Allan it does recongnize it. I'm confused though exactly what I make it though. Like primary or extended, logical..etc.....Thks for the quick response fellas

5. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

the first partition on it has to be primary, after that anything goes

:cool:

6. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

You can use the whole HD as a primary or partition it with primary, extended and logical.

7. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

By default the Jumpers are set to Master - you need to change the jumper for Slave on the back of the HD - then when you boot up - go to the Bios and see if it has picked up the drive and do an autodetect on it.
    Your HDs will get preference on the drive letters ie:
    C: - master
    d: - Slave or partition
    E: - CD Roms or other IDE devices.

to chage it to f: you will need to do that from withing windows- got to Start - Run - type in compmgmt.msc

Cheers :)

8. xk_2hot4u

xk_2hot4u Guest

Thks alot guys. Looks like its working.

9. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

OK tell us how u finallly did it plz

:cool:

10. gonaads

Jumper settings:

[​IMG]

11. gonaads

Great :D

12. xk_2hot4u

xk_2hot4u Guest

Well it ended up to be pretty easy. I installed my hard drive with no configuration to the jumpers. I'm assuming that it must have come as default a slave and not primary. Then I went to BIOS and it automatically detected it, so nothing to do there either. Now I followed Allans instructions to the Disk management and just did primary drive and left everything default. That was it. lol

13. allan

allan Guest

Sorry man - went to sleep before we finished but it looks like you got what you needed. Glad everything worked out.;)