Need help fast! Pleeeeez

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by TekNo, Jan 7, 2003.

1. TekNo

TekNo Guest

I've got a big problem,
    I use WinME and WinXP Pro on a duel boot. WinME=C:, WinXP=F.
    I decided to do away with winME and deleted the C: partition with Partition magic 7.
    When i rebooted i got a message "boot failure from previous device, Insert boot disk"
    How can i get it to boot on WinXP without formatting etc ( i've got 18gbs of files in winXP and don't want to lose them.

C: was primary partition and F: is logical

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

by deleting your winme on c: you have destroyed your boot record. I dont know if this can be solved, but try to boot to dos with a 98 boot floppy and edit your boot.ini or try the recovery console on the xp cd and at the consol type fix mbr or something :)

3. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

im not very agile with partitioning, but i have used PM 7. im guessing you could try one of these:
    1) reinstall xp (WITHOUT UNINSTALLING THE OTHER ONE) and make another "c" partition, then read the "f" xp partition and swap everything to the "c"

or

2) use your partition magic emergency diskettes and try to see if its possible to transfer the "f" partition to a "c" primary one

hope it helps,
    Apu

4. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Your going to have to boot from the XP CD and go to the recovery console and re-build the MBR by running the “FIXMBR” utility and “BOOTCFG”.

5. TekNo

TekNo Guest

Thanks for the help peeps. It turned out that the hard drive was faulty (intermittent) Had to buy a new one and start again.