Need an xbox motherboard..or somebody who can solder well.

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by GEN3RIC, Feb 25, 2006.

1. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

So I inherited a messed up xbox. The motherboard got botched while trying to do a hack, and he pulled out some embedded wire in the PCB ( just one i think) and its not looking like I have the skills to fix that sort of thing. Its very very small and Im not a PRO at soldering but Im good enough to know how NOT to mess up a job.

I see you can purchase the mobo's online but they only come in hard drive combos.. Well I already have a hard drive. DO I need to use a matched pair? I also dont want to pay hardly anything as its not mine to begin with......

I hope you guys have some ideas for me.

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

You are much better off buying a motherboard with a matching hard drive, as getting a set that doesn't match will simply not be stable.

If you buy from www.xboxrepairguide.com, they will offer you $15-20 in return for your faulty parts, which lowers your cost a little bit.

3. GEN3RIC

Looking into it

4. kcnychief

Ick, sorry, I messed up a bit. I guess they got hammered on the requests, and aren't taking any new ones in atm...

5. GEN3RIC

This is the problem. I cant fix this crap.. I could but I have no precision tools. You can see at the bottom there is an embedded wire that is pulled. The board looks almost worthless due to what looks like heat destroying the top layer of the PCB....

[​IMG]

6. kcnychief

Yeah, that is definitely heat damage. That board must be replaced, you really have no other options. Even if you get creative with hacking or soldering, who knows what the long run effects will be.

7. GEN3RIC

Damn. Well at least I cant say I lost money since I didnt have to pay for it.

There is somebody whom Im in contact with right now who does the whole xbox modding thing, he said he specializes in botched mods. I think the pics look worse than it really is. Here is another pic...

Better detail
    http://i.pbase.com/o4/57/569157/1/56527696.xboxmobo2.jpg

8. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

It looks like a lead vaporised. I don't think you will be able to salvage that board.

9. kcnychief

I did my own, it was quite a pain in the a**

Except when I did mine, I ended up going with a spring-mounted chip which I think made it much tougher. There is a sh*t load of steps involved, and I wouldn't do it again no matter what someone paid me.

10. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

That's some damage!

11. GEN3RIC

Yeah. Well when I did the mod it came out rather cleanly and without issues... You guys have a new mission: find me a replacement for ubercheap dollars....