NEC ND-1100A What is it ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Womble, May 20, 2003.

1. Womble

Womble Guest

HI,
    A few weeks ago, I was looking around for a cheap DVD re-writer and came across this NEC which I'm sure boasted writing to + and - formats on DVD and CD.
    Now I'm looking to actually buy it, everywhere shows it as only the + format.
    Am I going nuts ?
    Does anyone have one ?

Thanks,
    Womble

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I think the 1100 only takes one format (+) but the 1300 can take both + and -.

3. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

Erm whats the difference between + and - ?

Skazz

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

They are two different competing standards. + seems to be the better and winning, but - is so far cheaper. There is also a third standard, DVD-RAM.

I don't have any details on the differences but it has been discussed here before.

5. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

Here have a look under the cdrom heading after the page has loaded it tells you what format NEC drives handle corresponding to their model number...LINKAGE and with prices.

6. Dlovely

Dlovely Guest

I have the ND-1100a from DELL. It came in a machine for work and I threw it in my own machine "Non-Dell" of course and it works fine. I upgraded the firmware and uses DVDXCOPY and make perfect movies in about 30mins. I've used the DVD+RW discs just to see if thye come out fine and they do perfectly. I havent tried the DVD+R discs yet but they burn faster at 4x instead of 2.4x in DVD+RW mode. I love the drive but eventually would like something quicker when they improve speeds. Nothing like 1 Disc holding 4.7Gb of space! I backup my image for my pc on 1 DVD like a charm.