NB fan died :( need advice.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by VenomXt, Nov 26, 2004.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

ok MY NB fan died on my an7 mobo.. i reboot all of a sudden my mobo goes nutts with beeps stops when i check uguru (monitoring prog) and i see that my NB fan is set to off. i check it in the case and its not turning did all the normaly diagnostics on it and yes the fan is dead.

ok. here is the advice i need.

1. Ok how safe am i running this mobo 24-7 with the fan off?
    My comp is running at
    CPU: 91.4 F
    SYS: 75 F

this will stay this way if the weather holds. but yesterday while playing half life 2 my cpu was 114 but it was warmer outside.

2. Where in the hell do i even start looking for a replacement..

btw here is a pic of my mobo. http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=158

any ideas would help **** just keeps on breaking lol today i brok ea 500 dollar plate of my mothers at the big dinner and the washmachine hehe sigh.

2. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

DON'T run your system without a NB fan. I had the same problem you had (busted fan) and I kept the system running for an hour or so, when it completely died. The NB chip was hotter than hell and my system refused to startup. It's best to buy a new cooler and/or heatsink for your NB chip, before using your system.

3. VenomXt

any ideas where i can get one?

4. VenomXt

5. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

You can get a chipset fan like a Blue Orb, etc that will work great.

6. VenomXt

i went ahead and ordered the one above. for 15 including shipping. sigh only prob people say is its a pin to install . i allways like bigger and better fans so hehe. oh well. dropped my airconditioning to 60 (its 69 outside) so my cpu is running at 93 and my syst is running at 75 so i think i will be ok temp wise i dont really have the option of leaving the comp off. so we will see.

7. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Could have just built a heatsink for it if you had or could get any old heatsink parts.

8. VenomXt

yah but it cheap my time wise just to order that hehe. that is cool though hehe.

9. Maveric169

Wow 93 is really high, are you sure your case fans are doing their job? While I see that your processor is a 2600+, my house is set to 73 degrees F and my case stays at 38 degrees C with processor at 47C under full load. This is with a AMD 2100+

10. VenomXt

um if you are running (full load)
    case 38C = 100.4 F
    Procc 47C= 116.6 F

Mine is running at (full load)
    Case: 82.5F
    PS: 96.0 F
    Procc: 104.0 F

Mine is running at (no load)
    Case: 82.4 F
    PS: 96.8 F
    Procc: 98.6 F

to simulate full load i ran 3Dmark 2005

i also used the uguru utility that comes with my motherboard for measuring temps. and did this on dual screens so i can see the temp while running the bench app.

and in my room the temp is 70 degrees F

11. macromp

macromp the retarded one

mine stopped a few months ago, it spins every now and then, hasnt caused any problems yet but i guess i should get it replaced, was gonna get one of those zalman heatsinks but i dont now if it will fit since there's already a huge zalman heatsink on my cpu, so can i get the fan replaced?

mobo: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=150

12. VenomXt

same damn fan.. i should email ABIT and bitcK.

13. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Did you by chance try spraying fan with compressed air or checking around fan spindle?
    Sometimes dust or something wrapped around spindle makes them stop spinning.

14. macromp

macromp the retarded one

i did wipe a load of dust off of it when i last cleaned my comp out, about 3 weeks ago, and it was spinning for a day or 2 after that, i'll go down to pc world and get some compressed air on monday

15. VenomXt

yah that was the first thing i did. :) it stopped working on a reboot so that makes me think its dead too. but i sprayed it good with a can o air and nothing. Sigh why the hell cant they just put anice heat sink on it. hehe they dont wear out just get dusty.

16. Maveric169

ahhh you were using Ferinhight sorry I used to ppl posting their temps in Celcius.

17. macromp

macromp the retarded one

i'm gonna order a Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler from overclockers.co.uk and hope it fits...

18. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I just ordered a load of cooling gear from overclockers.

2x fan controllers
    1x arctic cooling v5 for gf 6800 series
    1x rubber feet (woo!)
    1x extractor fan pci card

yay for useless stuff ;D

VenomXt likes this.
  19. VenomXt

january will be my usless purchase month hehe. tell me how that extractor fan pci card works ep. i was thinking of putting one in. My comp is on 24 hours 7 days a weel i figure the less heat the longer it will last so. plus fans go to new comps . :D

20. macromp

macromp the retarded one

well it fits, with about 2mm gap, it's either luck or zalman did some nice research with the nb and cpu cooloers