Naming Drives

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Capricorn, May 15, 2002.

1. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

I know that this sounds petty, however I wondered if there is a way of changing what is showing as my CD Drives under My Computer. I have just installed a CD-RW Drive but this is showing as a CD-ROM drive. My other Drive is showing as a DVD Drive. I just want to change the CD-ROM Drive title to CD-RW Drive.

2. ATMCKD

ATMCKD Guest

Try uninstalling the drive an the device manager and rebooting. Also make sure you have the very latest application updates for your burner software and the windows update that resolves burner issues.

3. pappcam

pappcam Guest

Do a search on this forum and you'll get the correct instructions

4. ATMCKD

ATMCKD Guest

Hey pappcam,
    Just out of curiosity I did the search you requested and found the registry hack that remedies this. Interesting. I made those suggestions to capricorn because they worked for me but the one you made seems more exact. Thanks

5. Capricorn

Well thanks for the advice guys. I have tried editing the registry, and creating a new sub key, as there was no DriveIcons folders. I have also updated the latest XP Updates and I have tried deleting my CD-RW and rebooting. However my CD-RW is still showing as CD Drive (D:) I either must be doing something wrong or my Memorex Burner will only show as a CD Drive.

6. Waldo

Waldo Guest

Open Regedit, go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\CD Burning You will find a volume number for each of your CD drives. Click on the one for your CD burner (You may have to try both as its not clear which is which) and change the value in the right hand side to 2. It will be set on 3 when you open it. Go to My Computer, click properties on your burner and see if there is a "recording" tab. If there is, you are set. Reboot and it will show CD-RW in Explorer.

7. Capricorn

Thanks Waldo. I did as you said. It did create a Recording Tab, but when I rebooted it still showed the drive as CD Drive (D:)

8. Capricorn

Could this problem have anything to do with my not being able to find Memorex in the Microsoft Hardware Compatability List?

9. Waldo

Waldo Guest

I have 2 Liteon burners that this trick worked on but I just ran into an HP burner with the same problem as yours, even after creating the Recording tab it shows as a CDROM drive. May be a dumb question but you did reboot, right?

10. Waldo

Waldo Guest

Disregard my question, I see you already answered it.

11. Waldo

Waldo Guest

It's possible, the HP burner I referred to is not on the compatibility list, either.

12. pappcam

pappcam Guest

Turn on the Shell Hardware Detection service. You'll find it under:
    Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
    Make sure it's set to automatic.

13. Capricorn

Thanks pappcam I had already checked that. It is set to automatic and is running.

14. Capricorn

I have just run another Compatability Check and it seems that none of the Memorex burners are shown as being compatible with XP. Anyone running XP with a Memorex burner, and if so does it show as a CD-RW under My Computer? My burner works OK even though it is not compatible.

15. Capricorn

Just out of interest. Memorex confirm that they have not updated their burner drivers to XP. So that is why they don't show as CD-RW drives under XP. This of course doesn't alter the way they work with Writer Software. This is probably the same situation with your HP burner Waldo.

16. Waldo

Waldo Guest

Capricorn - Thanks, but I have XP drivers for the HP and it still shows as a CDROM drive.

17. Sage

Sage Guest

Display as CD-RW Drive

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\E]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\E\DefaultIcon]
    @="SHELL32.dll,12"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\E\DefaultLabel]
    @="CD-RW Drive"

Where 'E' is whatever drive letter your CD-RW is.

18. Capricorn

Thanks Sage, I had tried this tweak but it didn't work.

Waldo, with regard to your HP burner. Have you got it set to Auto in your bios? I only ask because I have another computer with a Sony CD-R drive, this is XP compatible, but only showed as a CD drive until I set it to Auto in the bios. It then showed as a CD-RW Drive under My Computer. However this didn't work with my Memorex Drive.

19. Waldo

Waldo Guest

Yes, I have BIOS detection set to Auto. Based on the posts I have seen all over it looks like HP CD-RW's are strange birds.

20. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

yup, totally agree with you there. HP should be hung out to pasture