n00b who needs help with overclocking and needs raid explained

Ok, The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum is an AMD64 processor motherboard. So it would be of no use to use unless you were upgrading. The board you should be looking at for the Athlon XP line is either the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe or one of the DFI Lanparty boards.

When is DDR3 coming out? DDR2 is out now and is barely even useful as well as very little practical use from DDR1.

If you want to have an SATA drive as your primary boot drive, you usually have to go into your bios and change it so that it boots from a SCSI drive. Strange but it works. Then you would have to change your jumpers on the drives to match the order that you want them in. SATA will be a good increase in windows boot times and program loading times.

In ur openion should i get a new socket a mobo that supports ocing or should i wait a year and get a amd 64 board and chip?

in your openion should i get a new socket a board for my barton or should i wait a year and get a amd 64 board?

does a amd barton 3000 overclock as well as the barton 2600 b/c i just saw a website that got a 2600 to 200 easily with air cooling?

If you were going to stay with the Athlon XP Socket A processors. You might want to look into getting a better motherboard, and actually going with a Mobile Athlon XP 2600. I use to have one of those and was able to overclock that thing to 2.4ghz at 200FSB easily. And I was only using a CNPS-7000a-AlCu Heatsink Fan from Zalman. The reason why people might have a 2600 Barton or 2500 Barton is because those processors are what we like to call, prime overclockers. They are low in the latest series and usually can be overclocked to the speeds of the processors after them with proper cooling.

how does alien ware have pc 560 in a board that only supports pc 400 (aurora amd 64)?

Because the board supports 400. That doesn't mean that it can't recognize higher ram. The reason being is that the ram will only run at 400, but if the person that buys the computer from alienware wants to overclock their computer, they can. As well as they look at it as, the ram will not be pushed to do 400 speeds at all. When it's capable of much higher. I'm not a fan of Alienware. I'd rather build my own. Plus they are VERY overpriced.

Same reason that back in the day, you could have a processor that used PC100 ram, and the board supports only PC100, but you could put in PC133. Or even like now adays you can have a Barton Athlon XP 333FSB and use PC3200 ram instead of PC2700. I know I had an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board that wasn't Rev 2 so it wasn't DDR400. But I used it for my Athlon XP 2500 Barton.

If you want to wait and save up for AMD64, it's not a bad idea, since your computer will be able to handle another year of games if not longer. AMD64 will be dropping in price over the next year, so it might not be a bad idea for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back