my XP OEM CD

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by q12368c, Dec 13, 2003.

1. q12368c

q12368c OSNN Addict

I buy a notebook which come with an OEM WinXP CD. and I have
    a serial number for WinXP. But it is no need to input it during install the CD to my pc, can someone tell me when should i need to enter the serial number?

2. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

It was activated at the factory already. It's probably a recovery disk, you would if wanted to go back to factory reset (how it was when it left the factory) you would boot the disk after setting in bios to boot from cd rom drive and follow the instructions about restoring an image.

If for some unknown reason the whole system corrupts and you have to do a clean install (removing the image also) then it will ask you for the serial during setup.

The serial should be on the back of your laptop.

If you do a back to factory setting it will remove the files you installed aftr you received laptop and reinstall (quickly I might had) the image set by the factory when the system was activated.

3. q12368c

q12368c OSNN Addict

The OEM WinXP CD is a setup CD, NOT A RECOVERY DISK...
    I am asking AFTER CLEAN INSTALL the OS when will I need to
    enter the key(I already have)

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Ummm... if you've already entered the key your all set :) ... doesn't ask for key more then once.

5. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

Usually the o.e.m. disk is a recovery cd, with (m$ words not mine) as they prefer the ops to be installe don a hidden partition.

6. q12368c

q12368c OSNN Addict

THE XP CD never ask for the serial number.

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Do you like to type numbers or what is the problem?

Obviously the cd you got automatically inserts the cd key. Dell cds for instance do that.

Look for an Unattend.txt file in the i386 directory on the cd.

8. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

Maybe the user is trying to get in some serious practise for a data inputting career!