My ISP is... Best Buy?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by fitz, Mar 27, 2007.

1. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

So, I've been with my current DSL provider for over 6 years now.. through several moves and it has always provided great service. A little pricer than most, but I get a bridged DSL (no PPPoE), static IP connection with no restrictions and the blessing of the provider to run servers and share wireless with neighbors.

Today, I get an email that they are being bought by Best Buy! (http://www.speakeasy.net/press/pr/pr032707.php)

So.. I am now in the market for a new DSL Provider. I would prefer a DSL (my own personal bias) provider in the Chicago area besides AT&T/SBC and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions..

I've browsed around dslreports and have looked at Cyberonic but other things I have heard is that thier service is declining as well. Beyond that, I could look at some regional ISP's (Interlync, SpeedNet, etc) but was hoping for some real world exeriences with people here..

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

What business does Best Buy have buying an ISP? Just be glad it was Best Buy and not Wal-Mart.

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Ew, what is Best Buy doing buying up ISPs anyways?

4. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

looks like they bought it mainly for their "Best by for Business" practice and mostly for their VoIP business that SpeakEasy has been pushing of late.

Frankly, they won't be my ISP for much longer (maybe a month at most)..