My HDD is still sooo slow

M

Mith

Hello all,

I posted a little while ago regarding some UDMA detection problems i was having in XP.
I managed to get everything working fine as a result of some perspiration and help from you guys.
However:
My HDD is still just so slow.
XP takes ages to load (sometimes up to 2 mins), it pauses on a black screen before it loads the desktop. Applications and most importantly games take a fair while to load and, for example during MOHAA Multiplayer during level swap takes ages.

I have another computer with lesser specs which goes like the clappers, (its only a UDMA4 5200RMP HDD) which is why i find it hard to understand.

Any ideas pls help.

HDD in question:
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40Gb - (ATA100)
Model - IC35L040AVER07-0
7200 RPM
2Mb Cache

My Spec:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mother Board ASUS A7V266-E
Athlon XP1800
512Mb PC2100 RAM
MSI GeForce 4 MX440
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40Gb - (ATA100) (P)
Seagate Barracuda 28GB - (ATA66) (S)
LITE-ON CDRW 24103S
Soundblaster Audigy

Do you have a lot of programs set to load at start up.
Have you looked in event viewer.

I notice here, under the question symbol beside the Promise Ultra 100 IDE Controller Driver that the build is at 18. Do you have the newest controller driver and bios for your board?

Originally posted by Mith
Hello all,

I posted a little while ago regarding some UDMA detection problems i was having in XP.
I managed to get everything working fine as a result of some perspiration and help from you guys.
However:
My HDD is still just so slow.
XP takes ages to load (sometimes up to 2 mins), it pauses on a black screen before it loads the desktop. Applications and most importantly games take a fair while to load and, for example during MOHAA Multiplayer during level swap takes ages.

I have another computer with lesser specs which goes like the clappers, (its only a UDMA4 5200RMP HDD) which is why i find it hard to understand.

Any ideas pls help.

HDD in question:
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40Gb - (ATA100)
Model - IC35L040AVER07-0
7200 RPM
2Mb Cache

My Spec:
Mother Board ASUS A7V266-E
Athlon XP1800
512Mb PC2100 RAM
MSI GeForce 4 MX440
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40Gb - (ATA100) (P)
Seagate Barracuda 28GB - (ATA66) (S)
LITE-ON CDRW 24103S
Soundblaster Audigy

let me say this, i'm not a hardware king but i think this is the problem.
i think ur HDD runs to slow ... maybe u can change to a fast 1 ... i'm not sure if this works ....

Try losing the Promise controller. I had the same prob with a SIIG controller. once I pulled it, it was fine. Or maybe at least check to see if there is a bios update for your mobo or controller.

Or maybe a ...

If none of this helped you maybe still exist on you HDD a boot virus . If don't have an antiv you will not be able to install it ( if you have a boot virus ) phisically on windows ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back