My computer Starts by itself

ledzephippy

OSNN Newbie
I am dealing with a very fustrating problem with my newly built computer. When ever I shut down my computer it will completely shut down but after a few minutes it will start itself right back up. If u have any good ideas to why this is happening please respond.
Thank You

There was a certain period a few weeks ago where my TV remote would mysteriously power up my computer if I turned the TV on.. I haven't checked to see if it has done it recently -- and since I installed a surgemaster...

Was pretty damn cool tho ;D

oh yeah - and welcome to the forums ledzephippy - we don't need to ask what your listening to I suppose ;)

TV remote powering up your PC? lol :p
Actually, that reminds me... Check BIOS settings for Wake up On LAN/Modem. :p

Thanks for the replys, well I have looked at the bios power settings and everything is at default also my windows is up to date because there are no new updates available. The only thing that is enabled to start up my computer is the power button. I was wondering if any of my drivers could be the problem.

Well since there is no OS or dirvers loaded when the compueter is off that wouldnt be the problem, most likely its what has already been said: Wake on Lan, Wake on Modem, Wake Alarm. May also be wake by keyboard or mouse. Id suggest you look throught your BIOS again.

Look in Windows power options too as sometimes Windows ignores things disabled in Bios and just does what is enabled in Windows power management.

Make sure that *all* the ACPM power options are disabled in the BIOS. This will make your computer power up on its own after you shut down.

well let me butt in and I will help...I pushed him to come here and ask in the first place..

he has an asus P5GD2 Deluxe motherboard from asus with a 3.4 intel socket 775 and 6600GT, ...also the way he makes it out to be to me is that it only happens right after start up but I may be wrong

If it only happens right after shutdown, it could be a flaky MOBO tripping. I have seen this happen only once, where the power on circuit just wasn't opening properly so without a hard power off (ie: turning off the power bar/surge protector) you couldn't shut the PC down. A few seconds after you power off it would fire right back up.

If after eleiminating EVERYTHING else possible that can cause this and you still have the problem, you might want to consider RMA'ing the MOBO.

But first I would manually set all the power on options in the Bios to disable as well as all the options in windows power management. You never know, the default setting could be something you don't want and could be the cause of the problem.

Also, how are you shutting down the PC? Is it through windows shutdown? Or are you manually pressing the power button on the case? If you are shutting down through windows, what happens (power up on it's own?) and also what happens if you press the power button on the case? What happens when you press the reset button on the case?

The reason I ask this is incase there is a mixup in the power and reset leads that goto the mobo. If you get the backwards you may just be resetting the PC when you push the power button.

Thanks for the replys, well first off I have already checked the bios like i stated before. My observations were that the power on by modems, power on by pci devices, power on by keyboard, and mouse were all set to disabled. Secondly, my power settings are fine. Also, I always have shut it down from windows, I have yet to press the power button or the reset button. Thanks for the good ideas though keep the replys coming.

this is a weird one, there is no clear cut reason!?!?!?!?!?!

You might try killing all non-essential processes incase it is another program that is causing it, other than that I would say it is a defective mobo.

Also try a CMOS reset as a last precaution before RMA (because the boys that get it back are sure to be doing that first before they sign it off as defective!)

Thank u all for the help but I am proud to say that Tuffgong4 is my hero! I have fixed the problem! I have updated my bios and everything is gravy. Hopefully whoever has got the same mother board as mine (ASUS P5GD2 deluxe) updates the bios also. Thank u all once again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back