Multiple BSOD - help!

koko

Got Root?
i recently did a major upgrade, replacing almost every component in my system. i experienced an occasional bsod, but not enough to worry me, so i ignored them...until now. :eek:

for the past couple of weeks, i've experienced a lot of bsod and hope someone here can point me in the right direction to get this resolved.

i've noticed that since upgrading to sp2, i've gotten them a lot more, but i'm not ready to blame sp2 because before i installed it, i was getting them. i've updated all my drivers, taken out 1 stick of ram and fully tested the other one (only have that 1 stick in my sys now) with memtest for about 12 hours - 7620 cycles, 18,479% coverage, with no errors. but, when i put that first stick back in - bam - instant pfn_list_corrupt message on a bsod. for now, that bad stick is not in my system.

i have a suspicion it may be the hdd (see below), but at this point, i really don't know. i have updated my sata drivers to the latest, but i think xp pro has issues with sata drives since the technology is fairly new. i'm not even sure where to begin after testing the ram. any help would be greatly appreciated.

and yes, i've looked all of these up via google, but microsoft is super-vague about where to start. they say to check all drivers and software updates. and the forums i've looked through are also vague and offer no real solutions.

here are the bsod i've been getting (doesn't matter what app/game/etc. i'm using):

1. bad_pool_caller stop error
2. page_fault_in_non_paged_area - filename on the bsod is: partmgr.sys
3. pfn_list_corrupt
4. irql_not_less_or_equal stop: 0x0000000a (0x00000001c, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8053bee9) - i get this one a lot!
5. after rebooting from error #4 above, i got a "generic host process for win32 services" general windows error, with the "send" "don't send" screen. that's the svchost.exe file it failed on.

ok, here's my current setup:

yes, i know the overclocking may've caused these, but i have kept an eye on my temps and everything is fine. i've even dropped my 1 stick of ram back down to default settings in the bios.

asus a7n8x e-deluxe mobo
amd mobile barton 2500+ (1.83ghz) @ 2520mhz
thermaltake volcano 12 hsf
2 x 512mb geil ddr400 pc3200 @ 2.5 3-3-11 (now 1 512mb stick at default)
wd 74gb raptor 10,000rpm sata
snd blaster 5.1 gamer
gf fx 6800 gt 256mb (default settings)
hp 9500 series cdrw
sony dvd rw dru-530a
enermax 430w ps
marvell yukon gigabit ethernet (onboard) 10/100/1000 nic
win xp pro sp2

i've run complete virus (even with show hidden files enabled), spybot and ad aware scans and she's squeaky clean.

i think that covers just about everything. let me know if additional info is needed. again, any help is appreciated. ;)

What I would do... (had BSOD's with my ASUS board - an A7V8X-X),,,,

First - quit it with teh overclocking
Second - think about simply RMAing the RAM and going with a squeaky clean brand (those IRQ NLE are VERY ram timing indicative to me)
Third - ensure BIOS is latest
LAst but not least - report your RAM/Mobo combo to both suppliers

The last suggestion I have to menition because I discovered just last week that ASUS made a BIOS upgrade to fix the issues I had with Samsung RAM that gave me BSODs.

Oh yeah and PS - you have done a format, clean install? I kinda took that for granted there!

Mainframeguy said:
First - quit it with teh overclocking

Oh yeah and PS - you have done a format, clean install? I kinda took that for granted there!
That's what I was going to say........well nearly.

If troubles continue try a different PSU.

Mainframeguy said:
Oh yeah and PS - you have done a format, clean install?

yup. did a clean install. i never upgrade or repair. ;)

i may try rmaing the ram. only problem with that is if i send in both sticks, i won't be able to boot. :(

so hipster, you really think i oughta try a different power supply?

If you rule everything else out. I just upgraded my system. Everytime time I tried to overclock or put in a faster cpu the damn thing would reboot continually. From searching through overclocker forums it seems that the psu is sometimes the culprit..........when you've tried everything else.

For me though it turned out to be the mother board. :rolleyes: Didn't hold up to the maufactorers specifications.

System is running great now although I do have a few things on eBay.................ALL THE DAMN THINGS I ENDED UP WITH TILL I GOT TO THE BOARD. :D

ok, i just flashed my bios to the latest version. i'll let that ride for a couple of days and see what happens.

if that doesn't work, i'll rma the ram. as i last resort, i'll try a different ps. i'll try and keep this thread updated with my progress, in case someone else out there is having similiar issues.

thanks for the suggestions guys. anyone else is more than welcome to give advice! :)

**update**

so far, so good. since taking out that stick of ram and flashing my bios, i haven't gotten a bsod yet (crosses fingers). i rmaed it and will hopefully get another stick back soon - hate having just 512mb in my main machine.

will post back if i get another bsod. thanks for the help guys. ;)

Yeah, RAM is what I was thinking. Most of those BSOD messages deal with RAM in one way or another...and I also had a stick of RAM that went bad on a Pentium II 400 I used to own. when win2k first came out.

All was fine at first, and then I started getting some symptoms like yours, and the BSODs (some like you got) were getting progressively worse... Checking around, it turned out the 64 MB DIMM went bad...

Can you RMA that stick of memory?

Son Goku said:
Can you RMA that stick of memory?

yep. already did. i'm shipping it off tomorrow.

i just hope i don't see any more bsod. :eek:

/crosses fingers, toes and eyes

I had the same problem, but i have 2 sticks of 512mb, one is a samsung pc3200 and the other was is a kingston pc2700, .... my problem was BSOD's when i changed my memory's speed to pc3200,... i got the BSOD's once in a while, so i changed it back to pc2700 and no BSOD's.... so i guess it was your RAM, you shouldnt have to worry about anything.....

Hey Razor - one of reasons for my earliuer post and mention of BIOS was ASUS (OK, I have A7V8X-X, different, but still ASUS) is that my problems ocurred with SAMSUNG RAM and my supplier exchanged and then RMA'd for Crucial and problem resolved.....

BUT that's not the end of story, recently found ASUS have issued BIOS fixes for my mobo for SAMSUNG RAM - so you might like to check your BIOS version and ASUS site and see if you cannot update and reset speeds.... a long shot with mismatched RAM sticks, but given my experience maybe worth looking into

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back