MSN Messenger 5.0

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Looks like we should be seeing MSN Messenger 5 quite soon:
Microsoft Messenger 5.0 for Mac (previously MSN Messenger for Mac) has been confirmed for release within the next 7 days.

Sources indicate the development cycle for the application has ended and the documentation for the application has been completed and finalised slating the new version of Messenger for Mac to be released as early as Monday 16th May.

As with previous releases, Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit has a tendancy to release updates on a Monday however they have been known on several occasions to delay updating the site to reflect updates until a Tuesday, however we will publish the link to download the new version of messenger for mac as soon as it becomes available.
Source: http://r-james.myby.co.uk/messenger/article.php?id=021

Will be giving it a try as soon as it's released, having seen some early screen-shots, it looks quite nice :)

Interesting. I might have to check it out.

looks nice but no display pic yet? ill tell my friend to get it

themafia.69 said:
looks nice but no display pic yet? ill tell my friend to get it
Did you even click the link?

msnmsgr5.jpg

yeah i did, hmm the title pic wasnt that one it was only a convo when i saw it, i hadnt checked the feature comparison. nice ill sign the petition. btw do online petitions really have an effect anything?

oh yay, display pictures..... thats something thats hard to do....

seriously MSN:mac could be so much better, though the main features I want is Audio/Video chat, granted Video could be hard to pull off, but it can be done. Mercury is proving that. Even if its just recieving. Audio, come on I cant see how that could be hard. The Microsoft Mac Business Unit is the largest mac software house outside Apple itself, but they probably dont care about messenger as it doesnt make money like virtual pc and office do

mainly I hope they have fixed the problem where msn will randomly just drop connections. the windows version is more stable :$

mafia, petitions mean ****. People just like to think they're doing something, however it's a very very rare occurrence that a large company will ever take notice of an online petition.

Geffy, it does make money, the ad banners aren't there for fun ;)
The video in MSN uses a proprietary logitech codec (not a clue what audio's carried over.. Skype kick's it's ass anyway :p) however that's actually been reverse engineered into a lovely C-library for all to use, and even converted into Java by the Mercury developer, so there's really no excuse for that.

Apparently we'll see official audio and video in MSN:Mac by 2007, until then I guess we just stick to those lovely open-source offerings. With regards to MSN 5 though... seems it's a no show, unless it appears some time tonight (weird time-zone things etc :D)

SPeedY_B said:
Geffy, it does make money, the ad banners aren't there for fun ;)
What ad banners, I dont got no ad banners

msn.jpg

ahh, I have had office installed since day one so I had assumed it was always like that :p

hoorah for office :D

there's an option on the menu bar, I think under 'display' or 'view' or something similar, to simply toggle the ad banner.. if you don't have office installed (I don't as I don't really need it, and it fecks fonts up :p) then that option is grayed out.

SPeedY_B said:
there's an option on the menu bar, I think under 'display' or 'view' or something similar, to simply toggle the ad banner.. if you don't have office installed (I don't as I don't really need it, and it fecks fonts up :p) then that option is grayed out.

There is no registry to save the setting, so with a simple strace you could potentially find out where the setting is hidden, and use it for everyone :p

That would involve installing Office though, which I refuse to do as it completely knobs up all your fonts. If it really is that simple I'm surprised that no one else has done it, and I can't seem to find anything about it on the net...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back