MS Office clones

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by napalmnthemorning, Aug 8, 2004.

1. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

I was wondering if anyone uses any office software similar to MS office with programs similar to excel, word, etc. I've tried Easy Office and was pretty impressed. Just looking for other alternatives to M$ "blackhole" type programs.

I did find a suite called OpenOffice and it looks interesting but I've never used it. I might give it a go and see what its like. Looks like a free download! Can't beat that..

2. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

I'm my home machine I use OpenOffice. I'm able to use the files in MS Office as well without any problems.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

OpenOffice is an excellent alternative. Just in case you didn't already know, it is interoperable with MS Office too. So you'll be able to open, edit and save files created by MS Office.

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I've used StarOffice a bit and must say I was not much impressed. You could open MS office files but the formating was often screwed. And then if you saved as an Office filetype and opened in Office, most formatting would once again be screwed.

5. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

6. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

7. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

OpenOffice looks like a winner. I'll jump on it over at the mirror you provided coathanger007..

8. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

If you are on Linux, you get even more choices.