Mp3 > Wma

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by SkazzyUK, Feb 18, 2003.

1. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

I have a Thomson Lyra MP3 Player, I must have bought it bout a year ago, I got myself Musicmatch 7.5 and whiped all the music that I had on it previously, and put on hte music I wanted,

Only problem is that is is 32mb and can only hold about 10 128bit songs :( I was told that if they were WMA then I could fit much more, my mate has a different make and he has 64mb chip I think and he stores like 150 songs!

Anyone?

Skazz

Ow and mine does support WMA just need to know how I can get my songs to be WMA and err will it make any difference to space?

2. Jahya

Jahya Guest

blah...

posted the wrong site before.....try this one.....

http://www.share2.com/mp3toall/

as for space, yes wma is much smaller than mp3 (depending on the bitrate) and the difference in quality is generally not noticeable.

also, I think I recall WMP9 having a utility to convert mp3s to wma, but I don't have access to WMP @ work, so I can't really verify without some research I don't have time for atm....

3. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Wma is accually sopposed to be a even better sound!

Just the problem is, not to many things play wma yet!

4. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

WMA sounds matalic and like @#$^ try mp3 pro see if it will play those if so then u can double your songs to about 20. but WMA yuck!! sound like caca stay away from those.

5. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Thats one opinion!

6. SquiGo

SquiGo Guest

i also do not like WMA...at first it was ok and better than 128 kbps mp3's but mp3 pro at vbr or even regular mp3's encoded in vbr sound way better..

7. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Lets make it two opinions then.

WMA sucks major bllz

It sounds verry tinny. However, you only have 32mb so obviously you have no other choice. WMA will do through earphones although you may notice the tinniness more than usual seeing as the music is going straight into your ears.

MP3 still has its problems and MP3Pro is crap due to the fact that you gotta pay for it. (I Think???)

Ogg on the other hand is the music format to be at. Gapless song changes (There is a slight stall/pop between song changes that aren't meant to have a gap) and lower bitrates required for same sounding quality.

8. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

Well I just ended up converting them to MP3 @ 80kbps Stereo cos you lot are confusing me, and they still sound ok to me, and they are all like half the size so thanx

Skazz

9. alloy25

alloy25 Guest

Re: blah...

JAHYA is quite right....wmp9 does it automatically if you set it up right......have had no troubles converting mp3 to wma..
    Good Luck

Alloy25:)

10. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

couple things you could do.

1) definitely encode in joint stereo instead of pure stereo

2) try lowering the sample rate (32kHz or 22.05kHz)

3) try mono if its ok with you

11. PHiSHnz

PHiSHnz Guest

someone before said wma sucked?
    i don't know your reasons, older versions did suck.. or maybe ur just one of the many "sheep" that hate m$ to be cool..
    bt i use MP9 and personally i think it's good.. doesn't take up as much room.. and definatly sounds better than a 128k mp3...
    that's jst my opinion tho
    256k mp3's are great too.. i use both...

12. RaWShadow

RaWShadow Guest

13. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

What's the point of 2 pass CBR? Multiple passes is meant for VBR

14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

hmm... kinda late in the post, but still worth it. since you say you downloaded MMJB 7.5, why not give MP3Pro a run for the money. it has good sound quality and practically cuts the size of a normal MP3 in half. and i highly doubt that someone has a 64MB card and stores anywhere near 150 songs. unless they are very short songs or jus little clips, i highly doubt that he could get that high. that's like fitting about 2 songs per MB. Lucky me and having a VERY nice MP3 player. look at link below. that is MY mp3 player.

http://www.archos.com/lang=en//products/prw_500204.html

15. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

I work for MS I have no reason to hate them I just happen to like quality sounding music and WMA just doesn't cut it and yes I am talking about WMP9 wma's they still suck.

16. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

I still prefer MMJB, specially the registered version. sounds great, looks purdy, works for me.