mp3 to floppy

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by trackrat, Feb 14, 2004.

1. trackrat

trackrat Birmingham UK

Is it possible to reduce a MP3 midi file in size enough to put it on a floppy disc?. :confused:

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Maybe an MP3Pro file would fit. never tried to put an mp3 on a floppy

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

In short, no.

I once spanned an mp3 over 3 floppies to take to a friends house (heh, ye olde days :p) but to be honest the time it takes to split then re-build the other end just isn't worth it. Floppy is a redundant technology as far as I'm concerned.

If I need to take something to a friends house I either, CD-RW it, send it to him/her over IRC before I visit or put it on the web/ftp to download once I'm there.

4. trackrat

trackrat Birmingham UK

I needed to know this as I want to transfer a mp3 file to a midi so it can be played on my wifes keyboard which will only take floppies, so splitting the file is not really an option

5. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

How about quality reduction? from like 128kbps to 64kbps? that could help.. MusicMatch can do that kinda stuff.. or what about windows media player... .wma format? :confused:

Hope this helps at all

Alex :cool:

6. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

ohhh, you mean you wanna convert an mp3 file to a midi file? google mp3 to midi :confused:

7. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

There are programs that will convert .wav's to .midi files. You'd have to convert the .mp3 to .wav first. But, one caveat, the programs really only work well with monophonic sources. It has a really tough time converting polyphonic sources. You best bet would be to search the web for a .midi file that someone has already written of the material.

And most .midi files will fit on a floppy.

8. SPeedY_B

You can not convert an mp3 to .mid/midi format. No matter how many applications may claim they can do this, it's not possible. There are too many layers to the average piece of music for it to be accurate.

However there are a lot of midi resources out there, I'd suggest searching the net for a midi version of the song/tune you are after. If you have trouble finding it, name the tune and we can help :)

(edit) beaten to it, damnit :p

9. trackrat

trackrat Birmingham UK

Thanks dreamliner77 and speedy B, I have managed to find a midi file, this certainly saves some aggravation.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

use something like winrar to split the file to 1.44mb and put it on 3 floppies. or re encode it to a low quality.

11. SPeedY_B

Read the thread.. ;)

12. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

nah didn't do that ;)

13. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Too much work?

14. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

yup :p

it's not like they pay me or anything ;)