MP3 player out of old parts

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sinster, May 21, 2002.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I have an old mobo with a 166 pent one with 32 megs of ram and 2 4 gig hdd. I want to make it a mp3 player. I have a vid card, sound card etc. The only thing I dont want to do is carry around a 14" monitor. I would like to know if there is a little LCD screen out there so I can set it in the case. Also I dont know what os I should use to do this? I aM looking for some suggestions/ideas.

2. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

A P166 with just about run win98se/win95/NT4 BUT WILL NOT run win2000, or XP.

Memory will cause slow downs if you have big playlists, 32mb is NOT ACCEPTABLE in this day & age, you will want more, 64minimum.

Harddisks are ok, use fat32 as it will be quicker.

Depending on your soundcard and video card, you might get sound issues, or visual issues if your card IS NOT directx6 compatible (directx6 comes with win98se).

As for the player software, you could use wmp7.1, or other.

As for small LCD screen, I havnt seen any.

SEEMS ABIT OF A POINTLESS TASK & EFFORT. IMO :)

3. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Well I am thinking the same thing. I have everything.. just a lcd screen. I am not looking for state of the art.. Just something I can set on my work bench..

4. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

You could fork out and buy a proper switch box, which allows you to share 1 keyboard/mouse/monitor with a number of other PCs.

Then you can just switch from one to-other.

I think win98se is your only option really.

go here... http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/updates/

theres ALL the win98se updates (blimey there are alot!!) but you may not need all of them considering the intended use of the PC you wanna make.

5. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

For the LCD, check here .