Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there is anybody using a firebire spellchecker extension because i was looking for one and the only one i found crashes firebird :(

Uninstalling Extensions
Until the uninstall feature for extensions is implemented (bug 170006), use this procedure as a workaround:

(Extension installed in the program folder)
1. Exit Mozilla Firebird
2. Change to the chrome dir of your Mozilla Firebird application dir
3. Delete chrome.rdf and the overlayinfo dir (they are regenerated on next start)
4. Delete [extension].jar (or the [extension] dir, if it's used unpacked)
5. Remove every line with a reference to [extension] from installed-chrome.txt (usually there are two: one to the content and one to the locale)
6. A few extensions might use additional files; TBE for example has a tabextensions.js in [Phoenix dir]/defaults/pref to store its defaults in. Search through your app dir for such files and delete them.
7. Restart Mozilla Firebird

(Extension installed in the profile folder)
1. Exit Mozilla Firebird
2. Change to the chrome dir of your Mozilla Firebird profile dir
3. Delete [extension].jar (or the [extension] dir, if it's used unpacked)
4. Remove every line with a reference to [extension] from chrome.rdf and the overlayinfo dir. (usually there are two: one to the content and one to the locale)
5. A few extensions might use additional files; Search through your profile dir for such files and delete them.
6. Restart Mozilla Firebird

It's probably a good idea to make backups of the files/dirs before deleting/changing them to be able to restore the status quo in case anything goes wrong.

just stopped using firebird myself after a bit over a year of using it.

finally got sick to death of the slowness of it compared to IE (a proven fact in the firebird forums themselves) and the fact that theres one hell of a lot of sites that dont work with it.

firebird advantages over ie: better security, extensions, tabs (which i think are possible with some sort of IE addon anyway)

IE advantages over firebird: much faster, uses less memory, compatible with all sites, relatively bug free in comparison even with the milestones.

i gave fb a year and its not going to get any better with their total refusal to acknowledge that IE sets the "standards" and not the WWW consortium, meaning so many sites just wont work with it and never will, its also unlikely to improve significantly speed wise.

IE way be faster in starting up, but firebird renders way faster and thats the speed that count. Hard to say that IE uses less memory since you cant see how many is used for IE, keep in mind that IE is part of explorer and is laoded on startup, thus faster than firebird. And for me firebird displays everything perfectly, there are a few sites that dont work, but that is because standrads. and ie doesnt set the standard. that would be the same as setting youre own laws, that would create chaos. but please dont turn this thread in a flame war. different people, different taste, different browsers

whos flaming who? have u even read my post?

and firebird DOESNT render pages faster than ie, it STARTS rendering pages faster than IE because it renders everything on the fly instead of waiting, im afraid its just a simple fact that IE finishes loading pages faster than firebird does. in addition to this a lot of the time you cannot click any links while firebird is loading a page, it does nothing, making its on the fly rendering pretty useless if you ask me.

in terms of speed im not talking about startup speed but even if i was, the fact of the matter is IE STARTS FASTER for every single user in the world, whether thats down to some of it being loaded already or not is totally irrelevant due to the fact that you cannot (and 99% of users would not anyway) remove it from being loaded during startup. im talking about the numerous rendering tests that have been done in the firebird builds forums showing the java performance of MS JVM being severla hundred percent faster than the sun one on firebird, as well as other general rendering being faster. its a myth that firebird is faster in ANYTHING over IE, a myth brought about because to the naked eye it seems to be loading faster purely down to it starting to render the page on the fly, and at an earlier stage than ie, but its quickly overtaken by IE before the page has completed loading.

im not going to argue it anymore, ive been using firebird for over a year and just gone back to IE, and i KNOW the difference. and its a HELL of a lot more than "a few pages" that dont work properly.

This has been done a million times. :rolleyes: If it doesn't end here, posts will have to be deleted. Remember that this is a thread for posting Mozilla/Firebird tips, and to offer support to those having problems and questions with the browsers. IE will not be brought into this thread. I won't repeat myself.

Not a good start ewokuk, as NetRyder said, this isn't for comparisons or derogatory comments against ANY browser. We've had all that before, and it just ends in a pathetic (and ultimately boring) pissing contest. So no more. thanks.

SPeedY_B said:
...and it just ends in a pathetic (and ultimately boring) pissing contest....

ooohhhhh, sounds like lots of BEEEEEER!

<<<<sorry, I had to, it was so tempting....>>>>

[TIP]: Office XP style menus in Firebird:

Some people will like this look, some won't. Personally, I think it looks cleaner than the default menus.
To achieve OfficeXP-like menus in Firebird, save the attached file dotnet.png in your profile's "chrome" folder, and add the code from the attached userChrome.txt file to your userChrome.css file.

Attachments

• FBmenus.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 57
SPeedY_B said:
Not a good start ewokuk, as NetRyder said, this isn't for comparisons or derogatory comments against ANY browser. We've had all that before, and it just ends in a pathetic (and ultimately boring) pissing contest. So no more. thanks.

Does that also include a how big your pen0s is contest?

Great little theme for Firebird based on Foood's iCandy Junior icon set:
http://www.cs.txstate.edu/~as1130/themes/icandyjr/install.html

Works with the latest nightlies as well. :)

Preview:
options.png

I've just started using firebird 0.7.

Cool

bling bling said:
I've just started using firebird 0.7.

Cool

YES! another convert... Welcome to the "we know a great browser when we see one", Mozilla/Firebird family. :D

gonaads said:
YES! another convert... Welcome to the "we know a great browser when we see one", Mozilla/Firebird family. :D

I'm gonna play with it 'as is' for a while, then start on the 'extras' once I get used to it.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back