Mozilla 1.0.1 or Internet Explorer 6.0 - Which is the best?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Scorbing, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Scorbing

Scorbing Guest

Opinions please

2. PHiSHnz

PHiSHnz Guest

well
    i tried both
    but i keep going back to IE
    mozilla is different, i kinda liked it better, loaded better i think, but did not work with the side buttons on the mouse, and had to use sun java v.m which doesn't work very well on this pc, it flickers, and doesn't load very well
    so i use ie now

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

ie6

all I have to say.

4. adek

adek Very xp-erianced

Is there anything else

5. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

aol browser:p though it is based largly on ie6 there are a few diferences:D

6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Henyman, lol.

7. mbunny

mbunny Guest

I'm a mozilla advocate =P

Opera is good but you gotta pay for it.

IE6 is crap... i got plenty of examples of sites that Mozilla (and any compliant browser) can properly process but IE6 can't handle. IE6 can't even handle PNG transparencies...

I haven't seen many java applets lately. I probably haven't seen any since my latest format... i haven't installed Sun Java and doubt i ever will...

But Mozilla is the superior browser compared to IE.

If you want the example sites just ask...

8. I've been using Moz for several months now, currently using 1.1. Haven't seen a pop-up in all that time. That's reason enough to stay with the lizard.

9. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

I use Mozilla 1.1 and Opera 6.01. I very seldom use IE 6. I use mostly if not exclusively Mozilla 1.1. I like it's functionality and ease of use and because it's open source and not Corporate. It really depends on you, the options (bells and whistles) you want/like and the way it feels to you. Try them all and you be the judge. You have to be comfortable with it since you will be looking at it for a long time every time you go online. :)

Another thing about Mozilla is the way that you can configure it to not allow "popup windows" in the "Advanced" section of it's "Preferences". I think that in itself is great.

10. Alan

Alan its only fun

A question for all mozilla fans,

When in I.E.6 and I go to my homepage all is OK, but when I enter my site in mozilla [only d/loaded it to-day] the text on all the pages flashes, I was told this by a m8 ,so i d/loaded mozilla to try and the text just flashes incesently?

You can access my site by clicking on the www button below.

Help or explaination appreciated.

Alan

[​IMG]

11. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Mozilla is actually displaying the page correctly and Internet Explorer is displaying it wrong.
    There is an organization called the World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3c.org). They develop standards for how html, css, javascript, etc... should work in all browsers. Various browsers support this standard to varying degrees. Currently Mozilla supports the standards the best. The problem you are having with your site is an example of Internet Explorer not fully supporting the standards.

If you will look at the code for your page, you will see this line:
    <body style="font-family: Comic Sans MS; color: #0000FF; text-decoration: blink;
    The part in bold is what is called css and it tells the whole body of your page to blink the text. See this page. This feature was defined a while back in the CSS1 standard (currenlty they are working on CSS3).

So, you can either remove that part in bold or let it blink if that's what you want.

I would suspect as time goes by all browsers will conform more and more to the standards, thus putting the burden more on the browser's support of the standards and not on the website developer's special manipulation of the pages. However, there are some features that are in IE that are simply not a part of the standards. If these features are needed desperately enough, there is no choice but to make certain pages IE only.
    If you are trying to figure out if my comments are pro IE or pro Mozilla, don't. :) The standards are a good thing, but there are some specific areas they just are too limiting on or they have not developed fully yet. Probably the area a person will most encounter such limits is when he is working with javascript.

On a personal note, I mostly use Internet Explorer for browsing the internet. However, I also occassionally test pages in Mozilla.

12. Alan

Alan its only fun

KevinAr18,

Thank you for your very informative reply, it may as well be double dutch for what I can understand;)

I'm off now to do some script editing :( propably take me all night:)

Thanks again

Alan

[​IMG]