[Movie Review] War of the Worlds *SPOILERS*

The immunity issue does go back to Well's story itself, so I wouldn't hold that against the movie if that was a big deal.

perris said:
so you're saying that they wouldn't be prepared for immunity issues, or that we presented more of an immunity issue then any other planet

No, I am not saying that. I am saying that

1. If we look at Orwell's vision, he presented that...
2. If we were to look beyond Orwell's vision (the reality of alien life perhaps being stranger then fiction and something that science fiction might not have entirely touched upon; as some in the field of astrobiology are hinting at); we can't say that all planets would be the same. In fact in that one program I mentioned, they said the biggest problem to finding alien life might be that our definition is so narrow, perhaps we'd miss it and fail to recognize it even if it was right in front of us. They were also considering how our definition of life might need to be altered.

If there is an immunity issue, it could be a different immunity issue. Just as a cure for AIDS wouldn't necessarily cure one against ebola (or leave the expectation, oh that's what's there). Perhaps it's greater, perhaps it's not.

For all we know, some of those planets could have presented silicon based life. From a biochemical perspective, this would certainly be possible given the number of properties silicon and carbon share (most importantly their ability to bond with other atoms to form the sort of complex molecules one finds in organic compounds). We already have organisms on Earth that use sulfur instead of oxygen, so displacing one element with another has already occured here...

and they didn' have proper sterilization techniques foir the undertaking of evolving human beings from microbes in the first place is too far a stretch for me without some kind of explanation

What steralization wrt evolving humanity? They wouldn't have been here when humanity was formed. Two things:

- Keeping the ship sterile is one thing (once they land), but steralizing an entire planetary atmosphere? We can make a room sterile as well, but...

- They wouldn't have all existed, but rather evolved.

Personally, I find it too much of a stretch to suggest that a being, alien or not could necessarily accurately predict everything that would happen on a given planet for all time to come. And then in a single instant so perfectly construct it that there is no possibility for deviation to occur from a given plan, ranging aeons and aeons into the future. Then if one adds humanity and the x-factor of free (and even an independent) will...

The ability to create a space ship and travel to other worlds is just that. It can be a more advanced technology (then say our automobile); but it presents the same purpose (but in a different mode of travel). Just because a race has developed a technology does not mean that they have reached a level of omniscience or ascended to some level of "godhood". It means they have developed a technology (which we don't currently posess) which has expanded their limitations somewhat, doesn't mean they reached some pinacle where they don't have any.

What's more, among a given race (advanced or not) could be the same human ability to make mistakes. The ability to trapse among the stars would not necessarily make one "perfect" in the human sense of the word. Yes I could well see a race of aliens running into something they didn't plan and get bit in the nose by it.

Last edited:
uhm....

Attachments

• nq050726.gif
    nq050726.gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 110

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back