[Movie Review] Sin City

Sazar

Rest In Peace
Watched this movie last night (have watched a few over the past coupla weeks but haven't posted any reviews :( I'll do it later I guess going through my backlog)

Anyways, first and foremost, the visuals and cinematography are completely unlike anything any of you will have ever seen (except perhaps in anime) but fortunately all the green screen effects don't divert from the on-screen play and acting. If anything, the monochromatic tableau's really lend a whole other dimension to the movie.

The acting in all the skits (the movie is basically 3 different main stories intertwined with a couple of sub-plots) is above average and practically everyone who is anyone in the industry right now happens to be in the movie (suprisingly though, no Jude Law :D )

Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Elijah Wood and mr 9 1/2 weeks, Mickey Rourke, really stand head and shoulders above all the other characters.

All the stories, though different, have shared themes and characters. All the primary character's paths cross at some point or other during the movie and Rodriguez does a really great job bringing it all together.

While there are plenty of scantily clad women throughout the movie, none of them really has a large part that stands out. However, as a date movie, this was wonderful and there were a LOT of women in the theater, all of whom seemed to be as impressed with the entire product as the guys.

I can't talk much about the characters or the movie without given away key spoilers so I will stop here.

My rating? 4.5/5 Osnn stars, which as those who know my ranking system, is my highest yet (joint with a coupla other flicks)

Have to check this out. Heard it was a great movie from a few other people too. :)

okay the scene with jessica alba doing a strip tease makes me want to see this movie! shes soooo sexyyyyy

Difinitely read the comic. Great fukin book.

Check this out for some really great scene to comic comparisons.

clicky click

*no spoilers here*

Thanks Sazar. Will check this one out for sure. ;)

Went and saw it 4-4-05. All I can say is WOW. This movie was so amazing. The visuals are incredible and I think Mickey Rourke has actually revived his film career. His role as Marv was awesome. I can't wait to read the graphic novels someday. All of the performances were top-notch and there was not a single dull moment imho. Elijah Wood's character was awesome, and he was actually convincing playing a bad-guy for a change. What more can I say, if you are an action fan, if you are a Robert Rodriguez fan, if you like the Kill Bill's at all, definitely go and see this on the big screen, don't wait for home video.

Haven't seen it myself... but 3 of my friends have told me that it wasn't very good. I'm not a big fan of QT's work and I can imagine with his hand in this one I won't really like it much either. Don't get to go to the movies much because of kids, but I'll check it out when it hits DVD.

this is a Robert Rodriguez work, QT just did a scene.

The visuals are very slick.

Just a warning though.....the ENTIRE movie is full of UBER Violence (although it is somewhat mitigated by the fact that the film is in black and white with just a splash of color here and there).

If you don't particularly care for violence then be forewarned.

Lots of very sexy naked (or almost naked) women....just an FYI.

Very, very interesting movie.

falconguard said:
this is a Robert Rodriguez work, QT just did a scene.
I know, hence the reason I said... "and I can imagine with his hand in this one I won't really like it much either" meaning that just because he touched it it's going to suck. :)

oooooh! it's pretty true to the comic book, Gonaads....

pretty nice, Marv is a prince of mayhem....they even got Lucille right.
Gail is gorgeous...

Like I said, Wow!

Yeah good to hear about it because I was debating to see it or not tomorrow night. I hope its as good as I hear.

I saw it last weekend though have been swamped all last week...

The main story change one will notice is from the first to the second. One's left wondering who the "good guy" or "bad guy" is at this point, keeping in mind there probably aren't anyone who could be considered a "good guy" in this story line... Most definitely an unexpected twist in the movie. Definitely not a movie with a predictable plot...

Son Goku said:
I saw it last weekend though have been swamped all last week...

The main story change one will notice is from the first to the second. One's left wondering who the "good guy" or "bad guy" is at this point, keeping in mind there probably aren't anyone who could be considered a "good guy" in this story line... Most definitely an unexpected twist in the movie. Definitely not a movie with a predictable plot...
They're good guys doing bad things. Anti-heroes.

was a very good movie. Finally a movie that did things in a different way not just to do them differently. The way the movie was done never felt like a gimmick and it fit well throughout the whole movie. I loved it.

falconguard said:
oooooh! it's pretty true to the comic book, Gonaads....

pretty nice, Marv is a prince of mayhem....they even got Lucille right.
Gail is gorgeous...

Like I said, Wow!

It's what happens when the original creator is part of the process and his vision is transferred onto the big screen.

Like I said, I loved the flick :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back