Move e-mail from one computer to another possible?

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by David_L6, May 25, 2006.

1. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

Good and bad........

I finally convinced my parents to buy a new computer.

Both old and new computers are Dell with XP and SP2. They want to move all of their e-mails and addresses over to the new computer.

If that is possible will someone please explain how to me?

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

More than likely possible, what is the e-mail program they are using?

3. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

Outlook express.

4. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

They should be able to right click one of the folders in the left navigation bar. Then select properties, and find the filepath to where the folder for their mail is. When they find out what the filepath is, they need to browse there and copy the folder to a disk. Then they can take that disk and import the files onto the new comp by directing Outlook's import wizard to the disk.

Or if you're going to network the two comps together, they could just launch the import wizard and direct the wizard to the files.

5. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Search your hard drive for .dbx files, and then just copy and paste them to the equivalent directory on the new computer.

6. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

All the e-mails are stored in database files on your computer, which makes them easily transferrable in case you were wondering why my esteemed fellow forumemers were talking about looking for x or y files.

Be aware that even after you have copied the files over its best to put them somewhere temporary, re-create the main mail account if you know the settings then put the old file back in the location of the new account.

7. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

8. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

Thanks for the help. I managed to get all the e-mail (they delete very little :crosseyed: ) and the address book moved to the new computer. I would hate to have to explain step by step how I did it though because I can't. I used a router and networked the two computers together then did a bunch of other stuff!

9. mac1

mac1 OSNN Addict

you could also try this program, it will backup/save all IE/Outlook Express/ Data and also other files you want to save, then it's just a matter of restoring them on your now computer.

i use it all the time and it's never failed me once.

"Genie-Soft Outlook Express Backup V6.5"