Motherboard dead. Anything I can check?

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I got a server with an Asus A7A266 motherboard and it died on me this weekend, after swapping the SD-ram memory module for a PC2100 DDR-ram memory module. The weird thing is, it ran fine for a couple of hours after installing the PC2100 module, when it died in the middle of the night, no warnings or beeps or whatever. Then I turned it back on, ran fine for 2 hours and then died again, this time it stayed dead.
What have I tried:
- Readding the SD-RAM module (of course taking out the DDR module)
- Stripping down the PC to it's bare parts (CPU, cooler, memory, PSU) and then try to start, nothing.
- Taking out the battery, unplug the PSU and let it rest for a couple of hours, letting the BIOS reset (it doesn't have a jumper to do so). Then plug everything back in, including the battery and still no workie :(
- Changing the PSU, but it turned out to be fine.

There is a little light on the mainboard, indicating it's in standby mode, and that light burned normally. Even the light on the networkcard burned when I plugged in the networking cable, so there just can't be a power issue.

I am worried there may have been some sort of overheating (though the temps were fine, 45-55 degrees C for the CPU and 35-40 C for the system), so I also checked the northbridge and southbridge for visual indications of overheating. I also unplugged the CPU to check it, but it seems fine (though I don't have another system to check it on). The rest of the chips and capacitators seem fine too.

Does anyone have an idea for something else to check for before I take it to the local computershop tomorrow?

No beep codes at all?

I would pull the MB out of the case, take out the ram , leave the cpu in, connect the case speaker and connect the MB to a power supply. Turn it on and see what beep codes you get (you should get one for memory) . If no beep codes the MB or CPU is dead.

If you get codes, install ram try again, then video try again until you isolate the problem.

I pull the MB because sometimes the MB traces will short to the case and it's a lot easier to work on out of the case.

now I happen to know this went to a shop - what happened tho'? That I do not know....!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back