More waking questions

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by d_b, Jul 23, 2004.

1. d_b

d_b OSNN Junior Addict

OK. If your MB supports waking on any key. What happens if you install a wireless keyboard and mouse ? Can no longer work correct ? Or can it ?

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

It should still work, as the Keyboard is still sending a signal.

Then the PC isn't listening as it needs power :confused: heh, good question, curious to the answer now :)

3. Ferretlovers

Ferretlovers Giver of 2 Cents

nope...I got a wireless KB and it seems that with no juice to the reciver it is a no go.

Mike

4. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

yup me too, i used to use wake on keypress for years and when i got my wireless set it stoped working, took ages to get used to pressing the power button! lol :)

5. d_b

d_b OSNN Junior Addict

Thanks. I purchased wireless at the same time I updated bios, and swore it was the bios. Don't matter how many times I change and set settings it just didn't work, now I can rest easy. However it's going to be hard to get use to pushing the butttttttton.

6. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

What kind of connection does the abse have? PS/2, USB?

7. d_b

d_b OSNN Junior Addict

Usb, however I wonder did it have a ps/2 hookup ? I see were your going.

8. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I keep seeing this thread and thinking the title is "More wanking questions"

9. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

:S...only u :p

10. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

there's a known issue here - USB needing power to run etc and in fact my M$ multimedia k/b and mouse (optical/wireless) aims to address the issue because the box has BOTH a USB and a PS2 plug on the end. This works fine on so far as getting into BIOS (I have used another wireless k/b where it would not detect DEL and I had to plug in a PS2 k/b for any BIOS ops!) but it is still not apparently good enough to wake up the machine - least not when I set my BIOS options.... Then again I have heard mentin of BIOS options to wake on USB - no idea beyond that... no first hand experience that is.

11. d_b

d_b OSNN Junior Addict

Is there wake on mouse movement ? If so couldn't I plug in a ps/2 mouse hide it in the drawer and up from there ?

12. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

I believe there is a wake on mouse button, don't know about movement, not heard of it myself

13. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

if u were to do that...would it just be easier to press the power button?

14. d_b

d_b OSNN Junior Addict

Actually yes but no. I have the case custom built into desk. however I have moved it out due to this issue.

15. cryogenic

cryogenic OSNN Addict

My asus board has wake on mouse button, I do believe... Mine is an A7N8X-Deluxe... I would assume most other recent boards would have the same feature.