Monitor Refresh Rate (Hertz)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by striko_514, Mar 14, 2003.

1. striko_514

striko_514 Guest

Hey, I'll like to ask a question. I have a 75 hertz monitor. If I understand well, 75 hertz is the monitor refresh rate, right? If not correct me. I'll like to know if is better to put the refresh rate at high or low. Is there a big difference between 60hertz and 85hertz? Is better for eyes at high rate or low rate? Are high rate slow down the display time?
    thx you in advance

2. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

The higher the set the refresh rate, the better. The lower the refresh rate, the more flicker there will be and the harder it will be on your eyes (your eyes will get tired).

As for the refresh rate, affecting performance, I have peformed a kind of 2D test on my video card and I had several other people run the test. It seems that the higher the refresh rate, the slower the 2D performance. In the case of a Vanta (TNT2) video card, the difference between 60Hz and 100Hz was about twice as slow on 100Hz (I think). This test was in regards to moving regular windows and per pixel alpha blending (aka semitransparent windows). People with faster cards said they didn't notice that kind of difference in performance, though I bet there was still a little performance difference (however big or small, I don't know).

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

75hz is supposed to be flicker free... if you can set it to 75hz at a certain resolution... please do so...(read recommended specs for your monitor)

lower than 75 causes eye fatigue more rapidly...

4. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

I really noticed the difference in eye strain after I got a monitor that supported higher refresh rates. My old monitor only would support up to 55 hertz while my new(er) one supports 85 hertz. I find I can use the comp for much longer periods of time before my eyes start to hurt.

5. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

I remember hearing about anything over 85Hz starts to affect the PC performance. I've also heard 75Hz is flicker free, but 85Hz is the perfect balance (the recommended resolution for each monitor tends to have a max refresh rate of 85Hz, so it must be the perfect balance).

I've also used a PC with the screen running 100Hz refresh rate and my eyes were burning after about 10mins of usage, whereas when I use my own system (or any other at 85Hz), I can use them for hours

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Strange... The higher the better for the eyes. 60Hz though... Instant headache!

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

100hz gave someone a headache? sounds like a problem with the brightness/contrast, if you ask me.

i notice the difference between 75 and 85hz. 60 is simply unusable for me, even while gaming. i always have the refresh rate on it's highest possible setting.

i'm going to look into the refresh rate/performance thing, though.

8. Steely

Steely OSNN Addict

I've got a 17" TVM Monitor and a GF4 TI4600 using the 41.09 detonator drivers, but are unable to change the refresh rate from 60Hz! I've been using 60Hz for years and it wasn't until recently that I noticed the difference between 60Hz and 85Hz that I released how much better a 85Hz is. Anyone have any ideas why I am unable to change to 85Hz? I'm using the XP Plug and Play driver.

Thanks

Dan

9. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

10. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

low refresh rate causes eye strain and headaches = alot of people in offices and such are not aware and go home fatigued and a headache. but to high refresh rate for your hardware will cause decresed life and possible hardware destruction. so when changing the refresh rate mke sure to check the box
    "Hide refresh rates this monitor cant display" then you cant go wrong:)

11. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

As mentioned, 100Hz is flicker free.
    You can use whatever fancy video card software you want to support up to 160hz or more, but 99% of monitors are not happy with more that 75-80 hz so experimental increasing will shorten their useful life.

12. striko_514

striko_514 Guest

Thanks for you help - eyes

13. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

That's correct. However, I would hope it wouldn't shorten the useful life of the monitor if the monitor supports that refresh rate. The key is to make sure your specific Monitor model is recognized by Windows.

Steely, if you cannot select 85Hz, then XP may not have recognized your model monitor or your monitor may not support 85Hz. In my case XP recognized my model monitor and it can support up to 100Hz at the resolution I use, so that's what I choose.

Go to Display Properties -> Settings [tab]
    Where it says "Display:" does it mention your specific monitor model number or something like generic monitor such and such? If your specific model is not listed, you may have to go and find some drivers on the manufacturers website.

A note for everyone: Windows XP defaults to 60Hz (pre Service Pack 1) and 75 Hz (post Service Pack 1). If your monitor supports higher refresh rates, XP will not use them unless you specifically select them. In addition, if you switch to a fullscreen game, XP will switch back to 60Hz or 75Hz (depending on the service pack) no matter what you had it set to before.
    Kermit's links will solve this obvious problem. However you MUST make sure XP has recognized your monitor so you can take full advantage of the max rate your monitor supports.

14. bkrepfle

bkrepfle Guest

You need to be careful with setting your refresh rate too high. Make sure you know what frequency your monitor can handle before you bump your frequency up. I've seen some monitors fry from having their refresh rate set too high.

15. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

Many years ago VESA set 72 as the standard/minimum, to avoid eye strain. Odd how MS would completely ignore this and set XP's default to 60. Shows how little they really care about their customers. Note that the size of your monitor is also taken into consideration when setting refresh rates. While 72 - 75 works fine for a 15 - 17 in monitor, you would want to be at 85 minimum for a 19 in.

With XP, SP1 allows you to override their default setting for D3D. But if you play any OpenGL games you will need a utility to correct this.

16. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Compatability is more MS's issue.

It is not unlikely for a monitor to have a low resolution and have a low refresh rate. Not all people have an average monitor. Some have sub-standard.

Imagine they made 72 the default from boot. The people with substandard would be screwed wouldn't they.

Yep... Lets all blame microsoft