monitor is flickering

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by the_music_man, Apr 11, 2003.

1. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

yeah i posted this but i never really good any replies. anyway i have this program that brightens my screen since my monitor is going old i guess and is dark and anyway it flickers and then it gets dark and i haveto click on the program that brightens it up to get it back. should i get a new monitor or something???????? someone said it might be the refresh rate but i don't think so b/c its at the lowest and if i put it anymore it will explode b/c its a really old monitor!

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

if its flickering and a CRT.. than yah... the tube is probably @ the end of the line...

3. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

N00 M0nit0r f0r j00!!

Skazz

4. the_music_man

yeah its a CRT.....great......I DON'T HAVE MONEY. i will just wait until it completely goes bad.....then my parents can pay for it.

5. the_music_man

OMG MY MONITOR IS DYING. THERE WAS LIKE A CHUNK OF MISSING SCREEN ON THE MONITOR. ITS GETING GHETO!

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

LOL! :D
    That sounds really bad for sure. I hope it doesn't catch fire or anything. But if it hasn't yet, it's probably no risk. :) So just tell your parents it might catch fire, and that you need a new one.

Good luck!

7. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

this kind of happened with an old monitor of my mums in the past... it didnt go dark or flicker, but it was the cause of the refresh rate why it died. A lot of old monitors dont even support 800x600 @60Hz, which is a problem for using Win2K or XP.

What size is the monitor and what resolution are you running it at? The majority of brand new 15" monitors only support 1024x768 @ 60Hz, so the chances of an old one supporting even that are pretty slim I suppose.

I've even seen 15" monitors stuggle at 60Hz on 800x600 in the past... I tend to use them on Win9x systems because of the "Optimal" refresh rate setting

But, (finally getting to the point of the whole post), I'd definitely recommend getting a new monitor - they're not exactly expensive as they used to be... I picked up a 17" iiyama monitor from http://www.scan.co.uk (in the UK) for about £91 - its actually a really good monitor for its price.

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

my AcerView 33D (13")... i had to use Refresh Force so it could run at 800x600 @ 56Hz. :cool: