Modem SPEED!! Please HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by RagnaroK, May 26, 2002.

1. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

I know this may have been asked tons of times, but I just want to know, what can I possibly do to speed up my modem and internet connection for downloading and gaming purposes without using any cash? Is this possible? Any suggestions, links, programs, hacks, tweaks, etc. are welcome!!!!!! :D

2. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

surf at 3 am :D :D

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

4. RagnaroK

Ahh cmon! I'm being serious here! :mad:
    And don't take the easy way out by saying "Get Broadband!" because money don't come cheap these days! ;)

5. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

Cosmin is right. Surf at 2 or 3am and you'll be flying !

And by the way, I have got DiaL-UP ASWELL !

6. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

If your on dial-up, then there isnt alot that can be done... Its just plan slow. You need to get cable or dsl....

:p

7. RagnaroK

:(
    ok then, if I weren't studying for my VCE, I would be on the net at 2-3am but since I am, I prefer not to, unless I want to fall asleep in class! :mad:

And since everyone's getting cable, can anyone spare approx. $1160 a year for cable for me? Thanks... :D

8. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Since you are a student, find out through your Department of Education if any programs exist for students wishing to persue a higher education through broadband. You may be suprised at what kind of government programs exist these days. You may get a student discount rate!;)

9. Sfumato

Sfumato Guest

Ok there are some tweaks you can do, kinda.

BUY a hardware modem, BIG help. 3com Courier.

Get a second line, and use it only for the net. If you cant do that make sure you dont have a lot of other stuff connectted to the line. SAT, Answering machine, all of these can really hurt your connection.

Get a good ISP, earthlink has really improved.

Go to www.optimizing.net. I have tried ALL of the tweaks on the net I think and I benchmarked them with NETMEDIC, and his are the best. Make sure you read his ANSWERS section.

Get NETMEDIC at vitalsigns, its free and ITS AWESOME..

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

:eek: sorry to hear! i pay less than 500. give it time and competition will move into your area and prices will collapse.

11. RagnaroK

Thanks for all the help everyone... if ya got anymore tips, then keep them coming~! :D

Oh and by the way taurus, I was exaggerating a bit, it cost around $720 here a year (without installation, that is). ;)

12. l0g0ut

l0g0ut OSNN Addict

Just a thought here.... would it help if you install two or more dialup modems in your system? hmm... of course you'll need extra phone lines.... extra dialup accounts... which will then ends up to cost as much as cable modem .....

13. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

14. mbunny

mbunny Guest

ahh... a fellow aussie =)

heres a cheap alternative to our Optus/Tel$tra cable.

http://www.alphalink.com.au/amain235.php

coming to a suburb near you.

Applies to Melbournians only so if ur in some other part of Australia than too bad =)

15. RagnaroK

Thanks for that mbunny :D
    Actually I'm using Alphalink's $200 a year account now. Just wondering, is that Alphalink "Wireless" have similar speeds to cable?

16. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

You could always try NetSetter too (however you spell it) thats suposed to improve the connection rate by 200% or somethin.. loads stuff quicker etc. You could also use Download Accelerator for downloading your software and stuff since DAP is suposed to help the connection also. I had alot of trouble tryin to keep my connection high coz i had DINKY AOL..:p but those 2 programs NetSetter and Download Accelerator Plus helped me slightly. Hope this helps

Sincerly Alex