Missing NTLDR file no solutions work!

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by Mr.Joecat, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Mr.Joecat

Mr.Joecat OSNN One Post Wonder

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have a "Missing NTLDR" problem where my computer won't boot up, and before coming to this forum I've tried every fix I found online, with no luck, so hopefully someone out there is expert enough to suggest something. I run Windows 2000 on my computer. I've tried using a reboot disc and a startup disc, both as a floppy and as a CD. I've made sure both contained NTLDR, NTdetect.com, and boot.ini files as suggested, but they don't work. The computer is trying to access them (I can hear it trying) but either the information on the discs is not being read correctly or it just won't work. So I can't get into my computer to edit anything, I can't upload any fixes by inserting discs, and I can't even run it on safe mode. Is there anything else I can try or has my computer become just one big paperweight? Thanks for any help you can give!

2. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

If I understand you correctly, you did use the floppy to copy over new copies of those files? NTLDR, DTdetect.com ?

This may sound real silly, but occasionally at work I see this come up, and perform the following. Unplug the computer entirely from electrical source, leave it for a minute, plug it back in.

If that doesn't work, the machine is reimaged. :( I know that's not what you want to do, I'll keep looking.

All these steps have been tried right?

3. Mr.Joecat

Yes, I used both a floppy and CD, and even tried the Windows re-install or startup disk. It tries to read the floppy, but goes no further than that.

4. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

So following methods 2 and 3 in the MS KB article fails?

5. Mr.Joecat

Yes, and I've run out of ideas.

6. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Make a Bart PE disk, boot to that and copy the files over.

7. Kush

Kush High On Life!

ok ive had to do this for a lab, use another computer, and open cmd from the command line, go over to the c:\ and type the following
    attrib -s -h ntldr
    copy ntldr a:\
    make sure its already a bootable floppy
    then take the floppy to the pc without the ntldr and paste
    copy a:\ntldr c:\
    that should work