Missing Icons in Task Bar

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by Augie66, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Augie66

Augie66 Guest

Each time I start (or re-start) XP Pro, I get an incomplete or different set of icons in the taskbar. Yes, they are configured correctly in the "Customize Notifications" settings in the "Taskbar Properties" and the start programs settings. I even have the "show volume" icon configured to show in the "settings/control panel/sounds" options but it is rarely displayed. The 'Task Manager' shows the associated programs to be working even though the icons are not consistantly displayed.

Any ideas would be appreciated. If I have missed this same topic in another thread, I apologize for the redundancy.

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

This is usually the result of explorer crashing and restarting, you will see the shell disappear and reappear (only the desktop wallpaper is ther for a few seconds). Take a look inside the event viewer(start > run > eventvwr.msc) and look for any suspicious errors.

3. Augie66

Augie66 Guest

j79zlr, thanks for giving me an idea of where to start.

4. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

You could try Rebuild icons, under Repair, in TweakUI for XP.

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

You could aslo try removing the icons & starting again.

How To Clear the Past Items or Icons List in the TaskBar

1.Open Regedit Navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify
    2.Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values
    3.Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe , and then click End Process .
    4.In Task Manager, click Applications, click New Task , type explorer , and then click OK .