Missing icons in Control Panel :(

R

r3n3gad3

as i tweak alot :p i slip up sometimes... i dont use the control panel as much as anything else so it is the last thing i notice that changes.

anyway - as this was undoubtably caused by tweaking - i somehow lost half the icons in my control panel :S

i have checked back through all my tweaking apps and from what i have seen the icons should be there.

if i view the control panel in the origional newie form all the icons are there - but, when i view it in the traditional way (this involves expand from start menu) - half the icons are missing

help anyone?

I was doing a search in the forums and came across your topic here, which sounds exactly like my problem. I'm not sure how or when it happened, but now in my Control Panel, I am missing several icons, such as Add/Remove Programs and several other ones that SHOULD be there but are not. I have used TweakUI to make sure each box is checked for my Control Panel icons.
There are alternative ways to do most things, as I've had to learn... but I'd much rather have my Control Panel act as it should.
Can anyone help?
And R3n3gad3, did you ever find a solution or cause?

You can always use System Restore and go to a date before the problem occurred.

Originally posted by allan
You can always use System Restore and go to a date before the problem occurred.

Thanks Allan for the FAST reply.
But I think I'd rather not use System Restore, as I'd probably lose a lot of registry information and what not, wouldn't I?

I had the same problem after doing some "tweaking" with Xteq X-setup. Most of the icons in my Control Panel disappeared. There is a download "fix" at the Xteq site for this exact "bug". You can find it at http://www.xteq.com/support/dc/51.html

If you weren't using Xteq, I'm afraid this may not be any help to you.

Well I've never used X-Setup before, but looked around the site anyway and decided to go ahead and delete the following key from my registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/dontload

I'm not sure if there was a space in "dontload" or not, but if anyone else is having this problem, I can confirm that this does work, and you should safely be able to delete the entire "dontload" entry.

All of my Control Panel icons are now back where they should be.

Thanks Armis36 for pointing me in the right direction!

Another problem solved!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back