mIRC not working on ONE rig...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mainframeguy, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

The thing about this is that I have mIRC running fine on my XP3000 rig and on my laptop, so there is not a problem with the network or connectivity and I have clearly aimed to apply the same, or similar configuration etc to my AMD64 rig.

But on my AMD64 mIRC refuses to connect to any server - I have attached a screenie that shows a couple and one that is (I think) no longer there for comparison... This one has Lord stumped too BTW and he has said he hit this before and just left things to come back of their own accord - I do not really buy into that one, I know problems sometimes fix themselves with a reboot (which has been tried) but not just by the passage of time unless there is something that has to time out.

Anyone out there got any ideas for resolution? Or troubleshooting to find the cause? Or maybe I should try an alternative client - but I think I'd rather stick with mIRC across them all - don;t want to get like xBased and keep dropping in and out and forgetting what client I am on! ;) :D

Attached Files:

2. Mainframeguy

BUMP ^

(why do I get a feeling this is going to be one of those threads where I am teh only poster?) :(

Anyway just tried again and it remains teh same... (with Lords theory one day it might just start to work - but this I am doubting) Any ideas must get reps ;) well - working or sensible ideas that is ;)

3. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

This is just a shot in the dark, but is mIRC blocked by your firewall maybe? Make sure your firewall is configured to let it have a connection. This probably isn't the case, but I thought I'd throw something out there since nobody else has posted.

Mainframeguy likes this.
  4. Mainframeguy

Well thansk for at least posting - and yes you are bang on right - I have mirc added as an exception and have even tried dropping the firewall... of course we ar ebehind a router too, but like my other machines are in similar situation and they all go through.... only idea I have is something to do with a port or a service..... anyone?

I may just try putting eMule on here to see if that plays too, as an experiment.....

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

the router just routes packets to the publc IPs each machine has beyond that it serves no function. There is no firewall except what may be installed on each workstation.

6. fantasi

fantasi My Yngy is My HoneY! Folding Team

try a diff port perhaps? 6668?

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

mIRC's just a wench.

Give another client a try, just for comparisons sake, see if any more info/errors etc are produced, could help lead to the cause of the problem better.

8. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Have you given any other networks a try? From the screen it looks like only squeaknet. Also NAT (router) shouldn't effect your connecting but only DCC and the like. I will try and think of some more issues that could be happening ...

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

its not NAT :)

10. Mainframeguy

a couple more clues - I tried moving the CAT5 from the one NIC on my NEO2 to teh other - it did not play.... Moved back and, after a reboot, connectivity restored. No idea why I tried this, since all other network functions fine - just IRC is buggered...

Next clue - see attachment (hope you can see) this shows new client jIRCii - showing JUST teh same troubles - so it is not clientside I guess.....

Now surely someone can point to teh final solution here?

Attached Files:

11. SPeedY_B

Try an alternate port ?

12. Mainframeguy

yeah I did that - no joy whatsoever - even asked weasel - no more ideas....

Anyone else any ideas? Maybe it is just gonna be a weird case of no IRC on that box? Weird if that is the case....

13. Mainframeguy

Eventually managed to resolve this myself -

it's embarassing

embrassingly simple/obvious (but also I hope some will see why overlooked? You do not always expect an AV to be blocking ports, more the business of a firewall?)

Anyway - click over here to mIRC forum for the paticular issue with McAffee that I addressed to fix my problem - and also a very wide-ranging coverage of all the issues that have been linked to that connectivity issue.

14. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Well, I'm glad you finally managed to figure this one out. The solution eluded me, I don't mind saying.

15. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Is that McAffee along the lines of the Norton Internet Security or is it just a silly AV?

Oh and good to see you got it sorted .. would have been good if you had listed you were running such thing though. ;)

16. SPeedY_B

It's another pointless anti-paranoia tool :p *slaps it*

17. Mainframeguy

Yeah, one of those :p

The fact is this is a very well known one from Network Associates, so I was surprised oyou had not heard of it, Xie! It would not be my AV of choice but the client I work for have it as their corporate standard - so it is best I "conform" and use it also. (Don't rock the boat of the crew with the hand that feeds you?!)

18. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I'd give the boat a good hard shove if I didnt like the software or knew of better.

I mean seriosuly Norton and McAfee are the worst you could use. Your pc isnt in a corporate office so aslong as you have some kind of AV you will be okay. I have Kaspersky on my pc if you so wish it.