Microsoft Plans Vista Holiday Promotions

Discussion in 'Submitted News' started by madmatt, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. madmatt

    madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

    Messages:
    13,312
    Location:
    New York
    Microsoft Plans Vista Holiday Promotions
    Company hopes to boost PC sales, despite the delay of the OS.

    Microsoft confirmed this week that it will offer a customer promotion for Windows Vista to prepare for the holiday shopping season in November and December. The move is aimed at ensuring PC sales remain strong despite Vista's delay in shipping until next year.

    The company is working with partners on the issue, it said in a statement sent via e-mail by its public relations firm. But it declined to comment on specific plans, saying more information will come later.

    Analysts have suggested the company offer coupons for customers purchasing PCs that will support Vista so they can easily obtain the OS or buy it at a discount once available.

    Launch Schedule
    In March Microsoft delayed the widespread release of Vista until January 2007, a move that is expected to discourage PC sales during the busy holiday shopping season. The company originally had expected to have Vista on PCs by that time. Some analysts, including those at Gartner, have predicted that the general availability of the OS may slip even further into 2007.

    At this point, according to Microsoft's current Vista release schedule, business customers will be able to purchase Vista through volume licensing by the end of 2006, with the general release of the OS coming early next year.

    Microsoft already has been trying to prepare customers to purchase PCs that will be ready to run Vista when it is available. In May the company launched a Web site outlining the minimum hardware requirements for Vista.

    The "Get Ready" site outlines the requirements for running both low-end versions of Vista or higher-end versions that take advantage of the OS's new Aero graphical user interface capabilities. It also provides a tool so users could test whether their current hardware can support different versions of Vista.

    Source: PCWorld.com
     
  2. ming

    ming OSNN Advanced

    Messages:
    4,252
    Location:
    UK
    I think I saw this offer on the MS website last week. Can't see it now, they might have relocated the link on a different page.
     
  3. kcnychief

    kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

    Messages:
    16,948
    Location:
    Massachusetts
  4. madmatt

    madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

    Messages:
    13,312
    Location:
    New York
    This article has more information...
     
  5. Jewelzz

    Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

    Messages:
    10,977
    Location:
    California
    Who can pee further? :rolleyes:
     
  6. j79zlr

    j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

    Messages:
    2,725
    Location:
    Chicago
    I don't see how Vista's release will slow PC sales. Those who don't even know what Vista is [probably 90% of users] will buy a new PC. Out of the remaining 10%, 8% will know that Vista will be unimpressive at best. I don't think a 2% difference will be noticeable.
     
  7. kcnychief

    kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

    Messages:
    16,948
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    I think it's focused on the fact that most people who buy computers from stores, buy it with a bundled OS. This is a statement comparing to those who build and load their own OS on it.

    I would hope, and I could be wrong, that more than 10% of computer users out there know about Vista. They may not, however, know the update(s) on the release dates. I also hope, and again I could be wrong, that more than 8% of them KNOW that Vista will be BETTER than "unimpressive" as that is definitely not the case. Taking your path into consideration of the users who might not be as tech-savy, such as users who don't follow Vista and it's development and release, to those users Vista will be a blessing as it should be much more secure than XP.

    Just my .02