Microsoft Office Word 2003 / Font Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by madmatt, Jul 20, 2005.

1. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Good day. I am running Microsoft Office 2003 in my environment and I am having a font substitution problem. Allow me to explain.

Workstation 1: Running Word 2003 on XP. Font substitution works correctly (see attached image)

Workstation 2: Running Word 2003 on 2000. Font substitution works correctly (similar dialog window as attached image)

Workstation 3: Running Word 2003 on 2000. Font substitution does NOT work correctly

As you can see from the attached image the font is "SimSun" which is not present on any of the workstations. However, on Workstation 1 and Workstation 2, Word 2003 makes the change to a similar font and shows the character as a star. On Workstation 3 this is not the case.

Firstly, is there a way to tell which font is being substituted so I can see if Workstation 3 has that font?

Secondly, if there is not a way, how would you suggest I resolve this issue without downloading the font SimSun?

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  2. madmatt

Issue resolved. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Have you done a detect and repair on the system it's not working on? Does each machine have a full install of Office? SimSun is a Chineese Font, do you have Foreign Language Support?

Do they have all patches applied? Does this problem happen in one user account, or global to the machine?

4. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

:)

5. madmatt

Workstation 1 and Workstation 2 had the full Office 2003 package. Workstation 3 did not. When you install Publisher 2003 you get the additional fonts (such as Arial Unicode MS).

No issues with the actual software or patch management. Of course they have all the patches (you know how I take care of business).

Once I loaded Arial Unicode MS onto Workstation 3 it mapped the fonts correctly.

You are correct though, SimSun is a Chinese font. Our customer happens to be in China.

6. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I don't view any post (especially any of yours) as a waste of time. If you have a question, and you end up solving it, other people can still learn from it. :)