Microsoft Just Don't Give A F***

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Lee, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I think gates will take care the chap in the end

(take that any way you want)

3. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Whats new? Outside companys find most of Microsofts bugs for them w/out reward I think .. what makes this kid different?

4. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Well they could have at least cut the kid a check for a few hundred/thousand bucks to pay for his time. I personally would have held them hostage over it and negociated a fee for my services.

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

in what possible way would you endear yourself to people if you do things like this..

everyone has a job to do... they are paid for their job... if in the course of their job they find something and choose to share the info so be it... they are already likely being compensated in one form or another...

what the kid did was good and right and he's made the news... and he's worked with m$... that in itself has raised his networth to anyone looking to hire him...

6. Maveric169

It would be one thing if the kid notified M$ and pointed out and proved that there was a security problem, but he worked with them for 6 MONTHS. But I suppose it is the kids progitive.

7. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

It's something to put on the CV / resume!!

8. E1V3N

E1V3N OSNN One Post Wonder

Who Care's? People take things too seriously these days.Do you want Microsoft to give him some pocket money ($100 million) Besides he said he was happy he got to be mentioned by the almighty M$

9. translucenthoughts

translucenthoughts OSNN One Post Wonder

If you are in the software business, you work with the vendors of the software your company uses regularly, helping them to find the bugs in their software when you realize the 'bugginess' is their problem, not yours. You don't get extra compensation for doing this, its just part of your job....:rolleyes:

10. Maveric169

Well that is something! One hell of a big something too! I would be impressed by it if I was a hiring manager. Not too many people can say they have been specifically by name given credit for identifing and helping fix a major security flaw in a giant software makers code at the age of 19 none the less.

So in a way they might have givin him more that way than anything other way they could have. I mean if I really think about it, would I rather have received say $5,000 and nothing else for this, or a by name mention of my accomplishment by M$ in a public form of media.

:rolleyes: Yea, I think I would take the by name mention of my accomplishment by M$ in a public form of media. That has to be worth a bit for the next job.