Microsoft Acquires Winternals Software

Discussion in 'Submitted News' started by kcnychief, Jul 18, 2006.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I'm VERY excited about this. I have been a big fan of Winternals products for awhile now, can't wait to see what MS does with it :)

2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

I hope they dont dumb it down.

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  4. kcnychief

5. madmatt

That's all well and good, but that's not what I asked. It is still licensed from Diskeeper Corp. Stop going off topic!

6. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I'm a little concerned that microsoft will kill/merge the utilities so they are no longer free

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Exactly, I don't see how you could think this is good news? Plus their developer is the one who found the Sony rootkit, MS will love to have him under an NDA with all of the spying built into Vista.

8. kcnychief

I think this is great news because this gives MS the ability to include some of these features within the OS. He also brings a level of expertise wrt to the kernel, so that is only going to help in future Windows development cycles.

9. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

ehm no, the new defrag in vista is not licensed from Diskeeper corp.

Link : http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060720-7319.html

Bolded words were made bold to stand out.

10. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

There are thousands of IT professionals that had a meeting here in The Netherlands where my uncle went to as well, and they were discussing this, and the case that now they are going to be out of luck when it comes to easy to use tools that simplify their job.

I am not that paranoid, but it certainly will work to the advantage of the big companies that would rather not have their products be called root-kits, and or warned about their behaviour rather than having it be posted all over a web-site.

Something is very wrong when a company has to buy up another company to gain experience as to how their own kernel works. I think this can only result in some very usefull tools slowly disappearing. I don't think one man can make big changes to the Windows kernel that are required to make it safer and more secure. It takes the minds and voices of many people in the community to do so with blogs to post on, but without their main person leading them down the right path, this will be bad.

Sorry, I see absolutely no good in this at all.

11. kcnychief

Right now it's all opinion as to what the merge actually means, time will tell what the real impact will be on the industry.

I'm a bit surprised MS is still aggresively pursuing other companies and technologies with all the heat they have been taking wrt monopolies on the market and such recently.

I still think more good will come of this than evil :up:

12. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I am thinking the main reason that M$ would buy them is to integrate them into the OS. if you look at the antivirus company and firewall company they bought; it was for that reason. So if this is the case? Then I say good move ...

13. madmatt

The main reason was to get the two owners on the Windows dev team.