Memory not recognised!!

W

wufong

I Have 256 MB Crucial DDR (266mhz) installed, but my motherboard only recognised it as 128 MB:huh: Any Ideas why?(see sig for specs).

Nice to be back after a while away!!:happy:

also did u buy it from a store? or second hand for say a friend? they might have been mistaken and thought it was 256 when it wasn't. Just a though ;)

ha dthe same problem. my 128 mb got recognise as 96 mb. I think it has something to do with the ram module. there a a lot of different sort of ram and not all of them work good with your mobo maybe. hat was my porblem

Is that the only stick you have? if so you wont be able to try all slots you need to have a stick in the #1 slot at all times ..... you could check your bios and load the default set up / settings this should set the board to auto detect the proper settings for your ram and all other hardware

just to point out something .... I have 3 sticks of 256mb pc2700 and when I added the 3rd stick my machine went wacky ... funny thing is the 3 of them are all from same company!!! soooooo go figure that .... what I did was I had to switch them around and it worked never did figure out why it would act that way .makes no sence and since I did the switcharoo all is running fine .... so what does all that mean to you ? ... nothing lol expect that if you do have more than one stick the switcharoo is a good thing to try and resetting the default /set up options in the bios should settle the board from there you could go back to the bios and tweak the settings one at a time!! .... I run mine with the ram and agp in turbo mode but I needed to do that in steps ...........

:blink:

not every board has to have ram in the first slot mine for one doesn't (soyo) in fact I have my stick in the middle slot lol :eek:

I saw he has the gigabyte board and I know that model that was why I said that..... :eek:

well was just saying so he knows for future refrence :p also some board won't work properly with all dimm slots fill with ram. I don't think any of the newer board have this problem but some of the older ones do.

Wonder if he will ever get back here so we know what happened to it ? LOLOL I love it when they never bother coming back to let us know if it worked :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ram is in slot 1. The problem seems to have corrected itself. The board seems to have taken a couple of days to recognise the correct memory specification after it was booted for the first time:confused: These boxes of micro chips never cease to suprise me!!! Thanks for your assistance guys;)

Looks like this little problem has reared it's ugly head again - A couple of weeks running fine , then.... outta nowhere the system is telling me I have only 128 MB of Ram! Any suggestions would be welcome as I am somewhat perplexed:confused: :confused:

flash the motherboard with the latest bios, fix's most ram issues.

Just finished flashing the latest bios from the manufacturer's website ( which makes it easier to o/c the FSB,by the way) but still no change on the RAM front, still showing as 128 not 256......:huh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back