Memory Leak?

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Recently I have noticed that my sytem will progressivly use more and more memory. It has never used more than about 600+ megs of the 1Gb that I have but when it gets to this level my system comes to a crawl when trying to multi-task. It seems that the process that is using up the memory is iexplore.exe, but there is no real consitantancy involved. Sometimes it does it, and other times it don't. Sometimes it can eat up the memory in a few short hours, other times it can take days.

Is there any software that can test the programs on my system for memeory leaks? Is this a memory leak situation, or something else? I used to be able to run an uptime of at least 1 week before feeling the need to reboot, but now I am forced to do it daily, and sometimes more than once a day.

It seems almost like when an application gets closed, like the IE for example, that it is not unloading the program from memory, but leaving it there even though it is closed. Not really sure how to explaine it and I haven't been able to force the problem to happen either.

Any idea's?

what ram do you use? maybe an odd question but ddr ram on my machine seems to run slower than pc133. I also had what you are talking about happen yesterday, I ran a chkdisk and it seemed to go.

Lee said:
what ram do you use? maybe an odd question but ddr ram on my machine seems to run slower than pc133. I also had what you are talking about happen yesterday, I ran a chkdisk and it seemed to go.
I have 2 sticks of Crucial PC2100 DDR 2.5 CL. Not really sure as to how the ram is performing and my mobo doesn't give me any real options to make timing changes.

I will try and run chkdsk and see if it helps.

IE can be a pig with memory, a couple of ideas, if you want to continue with IE make sure your IE history is down around 80mb (which should be enough) or, if you think you can make the break, then why not take this as an opportunity to try out firefox or mozilla?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back