Media Player in Server03?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by polarbear_ak, May 13, 2003.

1. polarbear_ak

polarbear_ak OSNN Junior Addict

I am trying to play some movies using media player in windows 2003 server and I keep getting "Overlay mode not available" I heard that this was because server was not built to run movies and games as such, but I also heard that there was a way to fix the registry to make it play them.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Polar

2. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

PolarBear,

By default Windows Server 2003 has hardware acceleration disabled for graphics cards, meaning only 2D and limited 3D capability is there. We can enable all this painlessly and without much effort. You will still be required to install 3D enabled drivers (like ATi Catalyst or nVIDIA Detonator drivers) for Windows 2000/XP. These can be installed on Windows Server 2003 but only after hardware acceleration is enabled will they work (and display the 3D related tabs in display properties.)

Right Click on Desktop >> Select Properties >> Select Settings tab >> Click Advanced >> Select Troubleshoot tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider all the way to Full >> Click OK >> OK

That’s not all, DirectX (8.1) DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration is also disabled by default on Windows Server 2003. To enable:

Click Start >> Run >> Type dxdiag & enter >> Select Display tab >> Click Enable on all Acceleration options >> Click Exit

Don't forget to install DX9.0

Heeter

3. polarbear_ak

polarbear_ak OSNN Junior Addict

Many Many Many Thanks
    That worked just fine
    I was just to tired to remember where to look for that
    Again thanks
    Polar

4. why are you even using server 2k3 for that in the first place?