Maybe time for an upgrade

Spent the whole day (the time I had) backing up everything and rebuilding the server, and the only new part I have used: the icy boy external caddie has just failed :'( hope this is not a sign of things to come :( We shall see building tomorrow :)

Right, hopefully this should be last post from this computer :) Still it will be a shame to see this one go its been nice and reliable over the years :)

use it as a unix/linux gateway, or a hardware firewall

Well, its up and running now :D
Seems very nippy!

Vista seems to like the new system a bit better ;)

More pictures updates to come later :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 103
Well, its up and running now :D
Seems very nippy!

Vista seems to like the new system a bit better ;)

More pictures updates to come later :)

Your setup looks pretty nice, indeed. :)

The Corsair was the best way to go, IMHO. Lately the prices have been great with rebates. I purchased 8 GB of the Dominator TWIN2X2048-8500C5D for about 240 USD and popped on the included fan and all runs smoothly. :) I was torn between going Corsair or Mushkin but the fan and design of the Corsair got me this time. The Corsair is a larger but even with the fan it fits just fine in my mid-tower case although there isn't much clearance between it and my Vendetta 2 HSF. Either company is good to deal with if you encounter any problems.

I'm just curious about something, however. I recently built this new system using the ASUS Rampage motherboard and ended up running into a problem that took awhile to track down. Have you run into any oddities where a BSOD pops up?

I had one single program that would cause my system to drop. I tested my memory and no issues. My PSU was also fine. I tested everything and couldn't find any issues. If I ran 3DMark06 or 3DMark Vantage my display driver would fail to respond and I'd either bluescreen or come close and be told that the display driver failed to respond but recovered. This had me pulling my hair out and I almost RMA'ed the motherboard. I'm running an EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512 Superclocked, btw.

After extensive testing and simply using logic to follow the trail of bizarre symptoms I came up with the cause and solution. The problem was the X48 chipset with a RAID setup and also using an IDE optical drive. Apparently there may be an IRQ steering issue. To solve my problem, I left my SATA drives on the motherboard and moved the IDE optical drives to a SATA/eSATA/IDE addon PCI-e card. The second I moved the IDE optical drives off the motherboard the problem vanished.

One might say I just had some bad luck but I didn't. Myself and a friend had both grabbed the MSI X48C Platinum board which had major issues with RAID & IDE optical drives. We could find no workaround and MSI was extremely hard to deal with so we gave up and RMA'ed the boards. We both switched to the ASUS Rampage and while our symptoms were different we both ran into issues running the optical drives off the motherboard when using RAID. The solution was to move the IDE drives off the motherboard.

Anyway, I figured I'd post to see if you had encountered any such oddities as well as give you a possible warning so that if you notice anything crazy you can try to see if what I've mentioned helps resolve the problem. :)

I'm dual-booting XP Pro SP3 32-bit and Vista 64-bit with a Q6600 and the system runs smooth and stable. I can't believe how I managed to get by with my older system.

Good luck with that system!

Cheers for the heads up rotjong. I am running the same config (cd on ide) but so far so good. Cheers roirraW "edor" ehT its running sweet at the mo, mind you not done much busy installing!

Right time for some updates :)

Its been built a week now time for some piccys:

From old system to new :)

Attachments

• CIMG1226.JPG
    CIMG1226.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 91
  • CIMG1227.JPG
    CIMG1227.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 86
Now unfortunately I have been having some temperature problems with my Northbridge running at ~54ºC.

Since then I have put on some taken off the heatpipes (northbridge and southbridge only) changed the heatsink compound. Got some new fans, added the ram fans and rotated the heatsink.
Northbridge temp is now ~44ºC nice drop there.

Only problem is hot air is blown into the PSU making it noisy.
I could either rotate the heatsink back round to the back, or move the PSU to the bottom om my case. Not sure yet, any suggestions?
overall though I am very pleased with my new system :)
(picture update)

Attachments

• CIMG1230.JPG
    CIMG1230.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 90
My PSU is at the bottom of my case and I can't even hear my system when it's on, even while gaming :D

What psu do you have btw?

I have a Hyper modular Type - R 580watt power supply, and apart from the silly name its not bad. It got some good reviews at the time.
My system is pretty quiet too, though a bit noise since the psu gets hotter.
Just checked the old temp monitor northbridge still at 44, though the south bridge now gets hotter (its at 39ºC) guess that is the price you pay when the heat pipes actually work :)

What case do you have Sazar?

What kind of idle / load temps are you getting with that CPU?

idle is currently 21ºC with the asus software which seems too low, and 38ºC with Everest. not sure about load temps, not had any stability problems though

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back