math problem, need answer soon plz.

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by mafiafromrussia, Sep 12, 2002.

1. hey i've got this math problem here, cant think of how to make this work

question " augustus demorgan, the famous 19th century logician, once stated that he was x years old in the year x2(x squared). he died at age 65. in what year did he die?"

i think the answer is 1871. but i'm not sure on how to get it. does any one know how to make equation for this problem? i'd really apreciate the answer in about next 2 hours, while i'm writing my english essay :)
  2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    Get off the internet & get back to studying. The answer is there. :D
  3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well heres a hint ;)

1971 was not in the 19th century ;)
  4. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

u tryin to screw him over ep?
  5. damn, ep u correct, i'm just thinking about another century thanks for pointing that out
  6. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Copenhagen, Denmark
    desimatrix... it would be 18xx
  7. well i did find when he died, wasnt that hard, i just want to know how to get it using some formula. or maybe some one knows equation for this?
  8. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

9. pc_tek, i have found that on my own, that doesnt give the explanation on how do solve the problem
  10. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

I know! :D

I just wanted to see you get your hopes up when you saw a URL up there:D
  11. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

ok ok, how much more time do you have????????? I found it =)
  12. well i should be going to sleep in like aprox 30-50 min. but i can use that solution now if u know it
  13. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

well truthfully I am not one to give out completely free answers, especially for school. Im sure one day you will ubderstand. School is to be a challenge.

But I will give a major hint. I did this and found it in about 10-15 mins. goto google search engine and search for "Augustus DeMorgan". It will take several pages to read through, but you will learn as you go, but the answer is ot there. Hope this helps.
  14. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

Oh and just for the record... i won't leave you hanging but I want you to try to find it.
  15. yea i understant the not giving away part already, but could u like give a general equation for this problem ? i'm sure i'll work it out from there. just really have to type this essay thing
  16. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

ummmmmm well....... ok........LOL

I understand! School can be hard. But keep in mind, asking a forum is no help most of the time, becasue you spend so much time doing checking your post! LOL

demorgan died in 1871 when he was 65 yrs old.

When he was 43 (x=43), it was the year 1849.

Now, to ensure that this is correct:

43 x 43=1849

1871(year died)-1849(year he was 43)=22

It all works out!
  17. evanbro

evanbro Guest

forgive me if i'm wrong, but i believe that if you look for a year in the 19th century that's a perfect square, you might get something. i haven't actually done the math, but i think that might be a possibility
  18. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

19. hmm havent though of that, i was trying x=65 so for x^2 i was getting a number too high. thanks a lot. next time i'll be just doing hws right after college.
  20. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

London England
    Hasn’t someone just gone to prison in the UK for giving away answers to questions in exams?