Massive problem.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I've had lots of issues with my system lately. I thought most were heat related and I thought I've had them resolved. Until tonight.

First off I'm on my parents pc so I won't be able to reply to any advice for a several hours. Please keep giving me tips if you've got them, I'm desperate.

So I wasn't doing anything intensive, had one firefox window open and thats it. Suddenly my system shuts down. I know the drill, I wait and reboot. When reboots it says something about Windows failing because C:\windows\system could not be found. Reboot with install disk and press R for recovery console. Uh oh I think, bad HDD. I try the recovery console, don't know how to use it very well but I manage (thanks to however wrote that guide we have here) to get it back up. I get to my desktop, everything looks fine, I move the mouse and it shuts down. Reboot again, same unable to locate that same path. Try the recovery console again and this time I get a stop error. Something along the lines of....

CDFS_FILE_SYSTEM

if this is the first time blah blah blah

0x00000026 (0x000410F4, 0XF791E6AC,0XF791E6AC, 0XF791E3A8, 0XF75E45C8)

CDSF.sys Address F75E45C8 Base F75D7000 DATESTAMP 41107E61

Now I think CDSF is the CD file system which would suggest bad windows install disk but the rest of it looks like memory addresses. I just don't know. At this point I would try anything. Even building a whole new system, I just don't have the $$$ right now. Again... ANY advice would be awesome.

Thanks

Not sure if it is worth trying to troubleshoot this as a driver issue (it may not even be one)....

First off see here and then tell me, is this a W2K system! If not I would already be thinking reformat....

If your install is XP then going by this I can only suggest defrag and all available utilities (EG CHKDSK /F) to verify integrity of your HD.

You are not entirely clear on the exact current status of your system. Is the BSOD encountered every time now? Can you boot to last known good config? Can you boot to safe mode? Can you boot from CD and get to repair install (NOT recovery console, which needs more expert usage)?

Keep us posted -I highly doubt this needs you to build a complete new system - but my first suspect is your HD... If you have not got anywhere from above suggestions then try the manufacturers utilities (EG Powertools is the one for Maxtor).

How do I get to the repair install option? I haven't seen that option when I boot from the disk so I'm guessing I haven't gone far enough into the install process to find it.

First thing I'd do is run chkdsk, ideally at least twice (just to be sure you don't miss anything). Even though it probably doesn't have anything to do with it, check the temperatures in your BIOS. Better be safe than sorry, that we you can cover any possibilities.

You say the system gave you a CDFS error with lots of memory addresses. Maybe its bad RAM...if the system shutdown automatically, maybe its because XP is configured so it won't report a BSOD if it crashes under normal use (I think it's suppose to reboot rather than shutdown though, someone should clarify that point). Try testing the system with other RAM, or go one by one using the ones you have now.

I can't think of anything else at the moment...hope you get it resolved!

Don't you hate it when you type up an entire post and firefox crashes ....

I found out that the repair option isn't available for me. I don't know why but I followed all the steps I could find but there isn't an option to press R and restore the install.

The file that I'm missing is C:\Windows\system32\Config\SYSTEM. When I'm in the recovery console I can CD to that the config directory and I can copy the SYSTEM file out so I know its there, it must be corrupted so Windows can't load it. Is there another way to restore this? Maybe copy if from another computer? If not I'm guessing the only thing I can do is reformat and start all over. Again.

There should be a system.sav file in the config folder as well that you can rename to system in recovery console.

American Zombie said:
There should be a system.sav file in the config folder as well that you can rename to system in recovery console.

Well that worked well enough for it to stop saying the file is corrupt, however as soon as it gets to my desktop it immediately reboots. I'll probably reformat it later, but for now I must go golfing.

Reps for the effort.

I would try to get into safemode first, remove all items from startup and try again.

Start, run, MSCONFIG and uncheck ALL items from the Startup tab. Then, check them one by one until you find the culprit. Something has to be starting that is causing the reboot. You could also try disabling all services, which is one tab to the left of Startup. Check the box to hide all microsoft services, then disable all.

You appear to be right but I'm not sure what to do next. I tried to get into safe mode, windows did its thing where it lists all the files it loading and suddenly it stops. I get a message saying press ESC to cancel loading d347bus.sys. I ignored the message and eventually got into safe mode but that appears to be one of the issues. Apparently d347bus.sys is a daemon tools driver and can't be removed from safe mode. I don't understand why this would be the problem since daemon tools has been installed and working correctly for months. Any ideas?

You can remove the file d347bus.sys from C:\Windows\System32 from safe mode. If you have any minidumps related to the crash, (C:\Windows\Minidump), send them to support@daemon-tools.cc, which from what I can tell is an actively monitored mailbox. May want to go back into Windows and un-install the app after that, until you get a response.

I have tons-o-minidumps. Was trying to access them but I can't since I don't have the debug tools installed and I can't install them cause they are MSI's which can't be installed from safe mode. What a clusterf*ck. I'll delete the .sys file and see if I can get into normal mode windows. Wish me luck.

Try to look for one, or a few, around the time of the crash. Send a few in if you have to, but include details as to why you sent in more than one.

EDIT: Use the Details view of Windows Explorer to get easier viewing on timestamp info for files.

Well that can't be it I guess. I deleted that file, I don't get that press ESC message anymore but windows still won't load.

Any errors this time around, or does it just hang?

SafeMode can take a bit sometimes, give it a few minutes and you should at least get some type of message.

if your missing C:\Windows\system32\Config\SYSTEM your install is terminally dead. System.sav will take the system to a point where it thinks it's not installed and break it hard.

You only have the choice of a new install.

Same thing. Safe mode works fine, normal mode will get to the desktop and then just die. I tried your idea of disabling all the startup programs, this time it stayed up a little longer before crashing. The only things I have starting up is my antivirus, gmail notifier, zone alarm and ati control panel. I tried to removed each one individually but I still get the same results. Your original idea of a bad startup service sounds logical but I just don't know where to start with those. I guess I can just wipe em all out, it's not like my system could get any worse.

Just remember to hide all Microsoft Services so the system will still reboot. Try accessing the Event Viewer from safe mode, there is probably something logging there before the crash. Start, Run - eventvwr.msc

Might not be able to get there from SafeMode, can't think of it atm.

Event Viewer has a bunch of errors about things failing to start. It also has some info on a bugcheck.

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck

0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x80550a1, 0xa74e6854, 0x00000000)"

I googled the 0x1000008e and it appears to be very common but no sites list a cure. It seems it could be anything from faulty ram to what we were just looking at, bad drivers or services.

I hate Star Trek but .... He's dead Jim.

I disabled all non-Microsoft services, rebooted and it crashed again. I try to get into safe mode and it just won't go. It processes the list of .sys files and then the screen just goes black. Any other last ditch ideas before I reformat?

I'm not really sure what else to try, we have exhausted a lot of options.

There is something to be said for time spent too. Sometimes it's just easier in regards to time and effort to re-format. I suppose it depends on your backup situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back