mandrake

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by cabmustang, Aug 7, 2003.

1. cabmustang

cabmustang Guest

i just downloaded mandrake and am very confused on the installation of programs. any websites that can help wqith this?

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

RPM's are the easiest, just open a terminal and go the directory with the RPM. use this to install:

rpm -ivh FILE.rpm

and this to ipgrade:

rpm -uvh FILE.rpm

for binaries, you basically just unzip and they are installed.

Most programs have install instructions as README with them.

To unzip use:

tar xzvf FILE.rpm.tar.gz

source can cause problems with missing libraries, so unless you know what your doing and planning on recompiling its hard and unnecessary. , but the usual steps are

1)unzip
    tar xvzf FILE
    2) cd to the directory
    cd FILE-FOLDER/
    3) Install
    ./configure
    make
    make install

I am very much a linux newbe, but these are the basics and work for me.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

If you're compiling from source, also use "make clean" after you're done with "make install"
    It cleans up temporary files that were created during the compiling process to save disk space. Also, don't delete the makefile after you're done. You'll need it in case you need to uninstall the app later.

Just little things to keep in mind when using a source-based distribution :)

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Which, 9 out of 10 times, doesn't work for me since there always some dependancy missing...
    So I suggest you get hold of "apt-get" for RPM packages and use that since it takes care of everything for you. I love it. :)

5. cabmustang

cabmustang Guest

thanks for the replys! i'm sure i'll figure this out eventually. also, is there anyway to change the resolution while in linux. i prefer 1024x760 but it set itself to 1280xsomething. thanks for any help you can give me.

6. NetRyder

You need to open the /etc/XF86Config in a text editor like Emacs and change the screen resolution in there.

7. Tiesto

Tiesto OSNN Addict

<-- is in mandrake as well, most compiling from RPM's is very simple, and most source comes with compiling instructions. www.mandrakelinux.com and linux.com have great intros docs into linux.

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I'm pretty sure you can change that in the GUI. There should be something in the Control Panel thingy (who's name I've forgotten atm).

9. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

the Mandrake Control Center

10. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

Also RPMDrake (or RedHat Package Manager in RedHat) can do this job automaticaly

11. cabmustang

cabmustang Guest

does RPMdrake install programs downloaded from the internet?

12. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

Yes anything with .RPM can be managed and also anything with Drake at the end is quality for the end user

13. NetRyder

There's nothing like installing from source though. Gives you all the optimizations for your particular setup :)