managing xp accounts

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by forcer, Jul 26, 2003.

1. forcer

forcer OSNN Senior Addict

i am gunna make another windows xp account for my little sister.

and as u can see in the above sentance there already is a problem.

little sister and xp do not mix... so when i create the account i want to really customize and limit the account.

- i want to block her from accepting anyfiles on msn.

- block her from deleting program files/windows

- block her from installing / uninstalling.

basically all she wants the computer for is to go on some stupid game websites and talk 2 her friends on msn. and thats all i'm allowing her to do evrything else i want to block. i would also like to monitor what she does.

are there any admin tools that i can download for xp that can manage all this kind of stuff.

also i have some questions about accounts.

i currently only have 1 account which logs in straight away, is it possible to giv me a password or do i need to create another?

how much space does an msn account take up?

thanx 2 any1 that replies, forcer

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

If you set her up as a limited user then some of that is done already.
    also check these links
    For XP Home
    For XP Professional

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Turning on the Windows XP firewall will disallow her sending any files...what a terrible feature included by default in Windows, but it will work for you.

4. forcer

will it stop file sending on just that account, or all aco****s?

5. ModestCargo

ModestCargo Guest

I think all accounts, but if you want to send/recieve a file, just turn it off temporarily. Just curious - why do you want her not able to recieve files?

6. forcer

because shes just a stupid little kid. I usually fix computers for ppl in my area and when i go n fix viruses or errors i find that its caused by the kids on msn accepting files off any1 because they dont really have a clue n they get to see a joke or getting an email saying download this game or whatever but really its a virus. i just want to decrease the chances of her being able to do this,