malespeak? translation assistance humbly requested

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by AllWeatherGal, Nov 20, 2007.

1. AllWeatherGal

AllWeatherGal Not Just for Fair Weather Political User Folding Team

What does "I don't know what I want" said by man to woman really mean?

I'm requesting all options, thoughts, based on experience, extrapolation, and fantasy. Rep to people who contribute w/out being mean.

I don't need more mean.

Why is this called the Green Room?*

(Asking here instead of a relationship site because I want honest translations, not advice from chicks.)

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I think thats about as honest as a guy can get without seeming emotional.
    Depends on context though, may well be a "what kind of junk food do you want today?" kind of question, but I think its more likely to be relationships right?

AllWeatherGal likes this.
  3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

uh well.. when I say that I usually don't know what I want. I'm not aware of it containing some hidden meaning...

4. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

True.

More options needed, opr more time to consider the options.

Kinda like if you go to Hooters, what to eat, what to drink, and deciding what waitress is the hottest. At first you haven't considered the options, but after you have a couple beers, some food, and look at the other options. You will know.

5. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

well... it may mean that he doesnt wanna change something but hes afraid to say it

edit: or that he does but same situation

6. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Chicks, do people actually use that word in 2007? :laugh:

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

It's called the Green room because we are environmentally friendly and all drive Prius' and listen to celebrity speeches in Hollywood and say "Thanks".

---

Re: your question, that would be the typical response to a question by a woman to me asking "what is it that you want?". I genuinely may not know what I want in response to a question like that and typically a question like that from the woman is open-ended, not close-ended. This leads to the possibility of more open-ended questions and is a really bad way to get into a possible squabble.

Given that I have neither the energy nor the inclination to want to get into a long diatribe about something that is, most often, inconsequential, why waste the time?

By saying "I don't know what I want" I close the discussion along the initial line of questioning and limit the direction of the disucssion thenceforth. I am a straightforward person and I don't like playing games and testing people. It leads to stress and miscommunication and bad results.

My response is the equivalent of saying "next question please" :)

8. hansrijf

hansrijf sh! it stinks Folding Team

Maybe he is considering the options: going out on a date with a woman or stay at home with his wife

9. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

To me, it really depends on the context on the question. Not being nosey, but without knowing the general subject matter its a bit tough. As it has been said, it could be a way of answering without any inclination one way or another to avoid conflict, or just not wanting to "deal with it". Or, he could truly mean it... but we all know guys don't have emotions right? :D

Another speculation could be, "I'm happy with the way things are right now, but I don't want to say something that will upset you. So I will look indecisive, and play dumb to avoid this conversation."

10. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

First question: If the guy is over 40 he's having a mid life crisis. :eek: :p If he is under 40 he is lying and basically wants sex, only sex and nothing but sex. He says he doesn't know what he wants to confuse the female and make her feel a bit sorry for him for acting like a total idiot and/or total dog (ass, butt head, perve, degenerate, etc...). Which could possibly lead to "pity" sex. ;)

Second question: This is called the "Green Room" because we have called it may things including "The Lounge". A place like at a lounge to just kick back and be open, of sorts, or just plain stupid. :) Green Room because that's what was the last one we decided on... Oh who cares, let's get back to the sex thing. :lick:

11. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Hah! I can smell the manure being preped already. :p

Actually the correct answer would be, "What ever you want honey (dear, or what ever it is you call your female ruler) is fine by me." :D

12. AllWeatherGal

Yep, all over northern California, anyway. Not necessarily as a synonym for "women", however. Usually refers to a *type*.

It wasn't in response to a question; I offered to take the bearded dragon, "if he wanted". (The guy, not the dragon.) Seemed simple enough. Y'all are right.

13. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

Totaly agree

14. Aprox

While this could be true, it seems a bit pessimistic to me. In all fairness to whoever this person is, they truly may not know what they want! For example, "Would you like twins or a playboy centerfold?"

15. AllWeatherGal

STOP!!! THERE WILL BE NONE OF THAT ON THIS THREAD!

*where's the stamping foot emoticon, dammit?*

Without a context, my experience with the men leads me to believe these two states are not mutually exclusive. Just turned 40. *shrug*

Thanks for your thoughts, fellas and Marge :) ... I've gotten over my drama. Next time I'll wait 12 hours before posting!

16. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

The real answer is beer. And more beer.

17. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I would not be surprised if he is actually being honest and letting you know what the does not know what he wants. I have many times that people ask me what I want and I really don't know.

18. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Wouldn't there be twins on the centerfold?:nervous:

19. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Sorry, I can not help as I have never said that to a woman as I always know what I want.

20. Aprox

The example was a joke, but the message was serious.