Making my harddrive bootable

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ignition, May 10, 2002.

1. Ignition

Ignition OSNN Junior Addict

How do i make my 81.9 gigabyte maxtor harddrive bootable? I've tried everything, but nothing seems to do it :(.
    I've tried to exactly the same things on my 10 gigabyte harddrive, and there it runs just fine.

2. iamtaylormade

iamtaylormade One Step from The Edge

What exactly have you done to the drive, ie format, partition etc. Is it the master or slave? What if anything have you done to your bios.....Let's start from there and if im still around, i'll give you a hand.....

3. Ignition

Ok. I got it reformated and everything(FAT32), it is the slave harddrive at the moment, but when i want it as the boot drive, i change it to master(I've got my other harddrive as master/boot drive right now).

Ive done nothing wrong to the bios i think, first boot device is the floppy, then hdd-0 and then CD-ROM.
    Ive tried to set the master boot record and to write a boot sector to it, it still wont work.

When it tries to boot, it just says "press a key to restart"

And, there is only 1 partition on it.

4. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

What OS do you have on the drive? Do you at least have the DOS system files installed on the drive?

5. Ignition

Thanks for all the help everyone, i found a solution myself. I just installed windows (on the 10 gigabyte hdd). Downloaded partition magic and set the partition to active. Reformated again, set the 81gig hd to master, installed windows on it.

Now everything works just fine :)