MacAlly iKeySlim / iKey5

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, Oct 24, 2006.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I don't know what everyone else is using for their keyboard on the Mac, however when I sold my PowerMac and bought the Mac Mini, I thought I'd try something different to the standard Apple Keyboard and purchased a MacAlly iKey5 (Also known as the iKeySlim).

Quite a mistake. Whilst it certainly looks nice, it's the biggest pain in the arse to use. More often than not, I would find myself making stupid spelling mistakes and having to go back and fix them (I blame the key size/shape) on top of which there were often letters, or even spaces missing from whatever I wrote.

Also there seems to be a weird "bug" (?) with the board where-by pressing two letters on the left lower side of the keys would result in only one being typed, a bit awkward when conversing to someone regarding "CDs" or "xzdsacs" .... maybe not a real word, but the point still stands. A quick search about reveals that I'm not alone in this, therefore I think I shall banish my iKey5 to the bin.

I'm typing this on the wireless Microsoft keyboard/mouse combo that I've just nicked from our other desk, a much more pleasant experience.

Has anyone else had experience with MacAlly peripherals? Or any other for that matter?

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Ugh, my friend has one, I hate it. He does as well, especially because of the problem that you have mentioned.

He has since then gone back to using the one that is attached to the laptop :p

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

It's a shame, it's a nice looking board, it just happens to be awful in practice.

Guess that's £20 I'll never see again :D